Naval Rifles.

03USMC

Since this topic was brought up and urged at some length on the " Most Underrated Leaders" thread. And despite requests that a claim be backed up with statisics to no response. I will post it here for debate in the proper arena.

The Claim : UK Naval Rifles are bigger and more powerful than those of the USN surface assets.

United States Navy Naval Rifles:

Mark 45- 5 inch 54 caliber Lightweight gun.

Range- 13 nautical miles

Type of Fire- Automatic 16-20 rounds per minute

Caliber- 5 inch

Mark 75- 76 MM/62 Cal. 3 inch Gun

Range- 10 nautical miles

Type of fire - Automatic 80 rounds per minute

Caliber - 76 mm (3 inch)

Keeping in mind that these weapons have different purposes and are deployed on different type vessels. Would anyone care to post the specs of the UK's standard Naval Rifles to back up their claim.

I really hope you are meaning "Guns" and not "rifles",,,,

If you are meaning the main "gun" then...

114mm (4.5 inch) MK8 Gun
21kg shell at 25 rounds per minute
13.75 miles...or so my calculator says...

Thats it really.
BTW are you meaning close range weapons like machine guns and the types.

03USMC said:
Rifles as defined by NGF trajectory. I know my NGF instructors were not informed.
Ok, went right over my head mate.

Do you mean this type of gun?...
1101827098t.jpg

Or do you mean these?......
1056618408t.jpg

???

Ah, then your right.
We only have a 4.5 inch gun , soon to phased out.
Our new ships will only have missiles and close range guns like machine guns and phalanx's...:(

c/LtCdr said:
Naval rifle=Bigass gun that you put on a boat. :lol:
You americans and your "terms"
We usually call it the big gun or the weapon on the forecastle.
Why rifle?
A rifle is something you can hold , I dont even think arnie could hold that!

devilwasp said:
Why rifle? A rifle is something you can hold , I dont even think arnie could hold that!
1. a. A firearm with a rifled bore, designed to be fired from the shoulder. b. An artillery piece or naval gun with such spiral grooves.

The Naval Gun Fire Manual I used described the weapons aboard vessels as such.

16 " /50 Naval Gun

8"/50 Naval Gun

5" /38 Naval Rifle

5" /54 Naval Rifle

3" /50 Naval Rifle

Since all of the Vessels with 8 inch or 16 inch main batteries have been decommisioned I was refering to the 5 inch and lower batteries.

They are All Naval Guns. Grunt 8) . regardless of what they taught ya at 3RD Mar Div Schools.

They like to Jazz it up there. But the Corps don't have Naval Rifle Fire Sections. We have Naval Gunfire sections. Or Naval Gan ) ..... never mind forgot where I was :lol:

Far as I know the Brit's guns and the Aussies are pretty close to our 5 inch 54's.

Back