Naval Infantry

I definitely agree that it would be nice to get some more sailors fighting on the ground; however, not at the expense of other support type missions. In other words, where are they going to get the man power to have an effective infantry AND support group?

From what I've heard, they're already short on people. And the Marines can handle anything they would throw a "naval infantry" branch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Hopeful

True. But this naval infantry, from what has been posted, is going to be SEALS without as intense training. The SEALS are all badass. More power to em. they have their place in the military, same with the marines, naval aviators, the USAF boys, the Rangers They all have their place and play an important roll in today's military. But this Naval infantry is going to be doing the same job that Marines do. They are, by definition, Marines with a different title. Makes no sense.
Hopeful

They will not be SEALS. Before you get your skivvies in a bunch, and start worrying about a proposed formation of Sailors replacing an already established Corps of Marines there will be vast differences in their training and equipment. A couple of Bn's of Bluejackets with infantry training is not going to replace the Marine Corps.

I have no doubt of that. It would be damn near impossible to replace the corps. but it does seem as though the naval infantry and the corps would be very much the same. So, if they got the corps let's stick with the corps. They've shown their strength time and time again. At the same time, a naval infantry unit wouldn't be too bad... SEALS on a more massive scale, just not as well trained... looks good on paper, but unnecessary in the long run.
Hopeful

hopefulfuturemarine said:
SEALS on a more massive scale, just not as well trained... looks good on paper, but unnecessary in the long run.
Hopeful

There is no planning to make them SEALs, on any level, massive or small. If all goes as the Navy wishes, they will be infantry... not Special Operations. Attempting to liken this to the SEALs is ridiculous.

The positive I can see of this is it freeing up existing Marine personel to be used in other roles rather than those proposed for the Naval Infantry. Rather than doubling up on the issue, it would free up the Marines to do the things that Naval Inf can't.

When I first heard of this, I was of the same opinion as most here.

But I gotta say, after watching a program on Military Channel about Operation Sea Dragon (I think it was called) about the Coalition Naval Operations in the Iraqi AO, the idea behind this new fangled battalion makes alot of sense.

I also now have the impression that this is not so much the usual product of the Navy wanting to spend its money on anything other than USMC issues (as I tend to believe was the case throughout the entire '80s) but more a part of the current top down and bottom up reoganizations that are going on accross the board for the new "distributed operations" Military structure.

The USN became, exclusively, a deep water Navy during the Cold War. Now the threat is nearly all 'brown water" in nature. Sailors in this btn would be trained for:
facility protection such as off shore oil platforms, dams, navigation locks ect.
boarding and seizure of smaller near shore craft.
harbor and ship protection.

The idea is to free up USMC as much as possible..and the USMC will be taking on additional roles related to a more distributed command, smaller units serving as fast strike shock troops along with their general light infantry and combined arms fighting roles.

Back