Naval Aviator swim quals question

Ever since I was about 10, Ive always wanted to be a Navy Aviator. Ive taken numerous steps to improve my chances of becoming a pilot, but the only thing I haven't done is join my high school's swim team. Ive always been more of a wrestler than a swimmer, and since wrestling and swimming fall in the same season, I'm forced to choose between the two sports. Ive wrestled freshman and sophomore year, and plan to this year. :bang:Ive been running myself in circles with this question:bang:: Do you REALLY have to be a varsity swimmer to be in the running for a job as a Naval Aviator? Can I just be very comfortable in the water? I go out to the pool regularly during the summer; should I consider a membership to a gym with a pool for the cold seasons? I'm also planning on joining water polo this Spring. Should I still consider a gym with a pool if I stay in wrestling and join water polo and continue swimming over each summer?

There are probably more qualified individuals who could answer this question, but I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Heres the facts: The Army doesnt care what you did in high school, provided you meet basic requirements. Being a member of a varsity swim team hardly qualifies you for anything Army related.
My inference: No, you do not have to be anything other than a graduate (even that is wavierable via GED).

A recruiter will be your best bet on a solid answer though.

Good Luck!

No. The quals are survival-based rather than speed-based. If you can't swim, that's one thing, but if you're comfortable in the water you should be fine. Here are the required standards for API:

1.) Pass a Navy PRT (basic standards if you suck are 42 push, 50 sit, 12:00 run on an XC trail).

2.) 50 yard screening swim.

3.) Advanced screening swim (12 foot entry, 25 yard each of breast, side, elem. back, and crawl).

4.) Treading water/survival floats - these will be done in full flight gear, but you'll be able to build up to that in flight school - and YOUR HELMET FLOATS, which makes it very easy to drownproof.

5.) 12 entry, 15-yard underwater swim.

6.) 50 yards each of breast, side, elem. back, and crawl. 75 yard swim full flight gear (this is easy!).

7.) Final test - one mile, full flight gear, 80 minutes or less. Not that bad if you don't panic - they're nice, slow survival strokes.

Back