NATO arrests Afghan cop accused in roadside bombs (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - NATO-led forces arrested a deputy provincial police chief they accused of helping place roadside bombs north of Kabul, officials said, in the latest sign of concerns about weaknesses in Afghan security forces.

More...

For one, the headline given does not represent the quoted article in its gist and direction (one might call that manipulation, myself as journou, I would not do it).

2nd (into the article, now):
... letting Marjah's estimated 80,000 residents know that an Afghan government is on its way to replace Taliban overlords and drug traffickers.
Now, this realy has some grace, Mr. McChrystal (and I guess you do not sleep well stating this BS because you are ordered to), as the last info I have shows the majority of the newly "elected" (?) Afghan Government *is* composed of warlords and drug traffickers (here a very pointed take on things, by the former UK ambassador to A´stan, but you will find many more on the net, just googling "New Afghan Government": http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/ne...ment-warlords-control-world-heroin-trade.html.)

...two of the U.S.’s own intelligence agencies, the CIA and the DIA, estimate that the Taliban receives about $70 million a year from the drugs trade. That may seem at first glance like a significant amount of money, but it’s only about two percent of the total estimated profits from the drug trade, a figure placed at $3.4 billion by the UNODC last year. Meanwhile, the U.S. has just announced its new strategy for combating the drug problem: placing drug traffickers with ties to insurgents — and *only* drug lords with ties to insurgents — on a list to be eliminated. The vast majority of drug lords, in other words, are explicitly excluded as targets under the new strategy. Or, to put it yet another way, the U.S. will be assisting to eliminate the competition for drug lords allied with occupying forces or the Afghan government and helping them to further corner the market.
Maybe the article should be rephrased by someone to read:

...letting Marjah's estimated 80,000 residents know that an Afghan government is on its way to replace the minor Taliban warlords and drug traffickers with the real big, OFFICAL government and US approved ones....
Thank you, Sir!

Rattler

Last edited:
Back