National Service

Alan P

Hello Everybody over 50 years ago conscription into the British Forces ended.
I have recently released a book called Get In Get Out And Get Away. It covers the story leading up to and including my two years service with the King's Own Royal Border Regiment. During this service we had a ten month peacekeeping operation in the Cameroons West Africa.
The book is available here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Out-Away-Serviceman-ebookdp/BP005016A2E
The book can be readon a kindle,Ipad or PC my contacts and more information on the book can be found on www.getingetoutandgetaway.co.uk

Thanks for reading

Alan P.

Hello Everybody over 50 years ago conscription into the British Forces ended.
I have recently released a book called Get In Get Out And Get Away. It covers the story leading up to and including my two years service with the King's Own Royal Border Regiment. During this service we had a ten month peacekeeping operation in the Cameroons West Africa.
The book is available here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Out-Away-Serviceman-ebookdp/BP005016A2E
The book can be readon a kindle,Ipad or PC my contacts and more information on the book can be found on www.getingetoutandgetaway.co.uk

Thanks for reading

Alan P.

Welcome.
Were you with the Borders in Tel-el-Kebir 53/54 ? My regiment , HLI ,shared the garrison with the Borders and the East Surreys.

No i was called up in 1960 to the King's Own Royal Border Regiment. This regiment was formed with the amalgamation fo the Border Regiment and the King's Own.
Both regiments had many battle honours over the years.
Thanks for the question

Alan P.

No i was called up in 1960 to the King's Own Royal Border Regiment. This regiment was formed with the amalgamation fo the Border Regiment and the King's Own.
Both regiments had many battle honours over the years.
Thanks for the question

Alan P.

The net just trawled you in. My regiment has since been caught up in amalgamation too. A pity to have lost so many great regiments with all their local history and inspiration; in my case the latter was Glasgow - interests dancing and fighting. Will that translate in national absorbtion I wonder?

It is a great pity that quite a few British regiments who fought conflicts and lost many brave men around the world, have lost their identity.
I have a question for American readers. When World War Two, Korea and Vietnam war ended, did the American Army dissolve or cut back with their regiments.

Alan P.

Back