national guard

I am really thinking about going into the national guard and i would like to know a few questions...........do they fight in iraq?..........what training do they do?.............what age can you join?.............what part of the national guard do i join to go fight in iraq?:salute2:

Thank you,

nationalguard1313:salute:

There is a TON of info out there on the Guard, presuming you are talking about Army Guard, and yes, I personally did a color gaurd last year for a local Guard unit shipping to Afghanistan from my home town in GA. Gaurd units deploy all the time.

As far as your other information you can join still in High Shcool at age 17, go to U.S. Army boot camp between your junior and senior year of high school, and ship to AIT and your job school upon graduation. I know lot's gaurdsmen, some of them I went to school with.

As far as training you recieve U.S. Army training for boot camp and for your job school, although you will do certiain exercises once you would get back, on your weekend drills with your local unit you joined with.

That's about all I know, contact a recruiter, or Ask one of the Gaurdsmen around the IMF, we have one or two actually.

I wish I had that info, but try contacting a recruiter or asking a Guardsmen on the IMF, as far which units deploy, check with the Armed Forces Press Service or DOD News. They usually have the units deplyoment dates published a little ahead of time for families. You can google either, but what's going on in Afghanistan also plays a large role, keeping and eye of the President's war policies you'll see that when large influxes in operations are planned, more troops (including gaurdsmen) deploy.

Try locating a better resource than me however, like I said, what I know is limited.

1. You will be limited by your area as to which unit you can join.

2. That unit will have to be in the state in which you reside, unless you are special.

3. Your unit will dictate which MOS you can enlist for.

4. Your chances of going to Iraq are not good in most MOS's anymore. US forces are drawing down.

5. You might get to go to Astan depending on your MOS and unit and need in country.

Last edited:
You'll just show up on weekends and train unless your unit goes on some bigger training exercise that can take anywhere between a few weeks to a month or so.

If you want to "fight" then I suggest you look elsewhere than the NG, Reserve componets and Active duty would be your best option.

Ask about combat MOS's to a Army recruiter to see what is available in the Army's combat arms, you will not be in any way obligated to the military so don't worry about not having access to information on a possible military career, be careful about second hand information as it is not always accurate, or up to date. Get the details and prepare for that job if it is what you choose to enlist as.

If you want to be a reservist and still really really want to fight I guess you could figure out which Army reserve unit is due to deploy and then actually move to the area so you could be assigned to that unit.

Back