National Guard or Active duty Army with children??and other ?'s

MommaGof4

In this time with everything going on would you most likely go NG or active duty Army? Which one do you think is more likely to deploy first??? I also want to know your thoughts on this.... National Guard battalion just came back from deployment.....will it be a few years before they can be deployed again?
Thanks in advance ~~~~~~~ Nikki:read: :p

MommaGof4 said:
In this time with everything going on would you most likely go NG or active duty Army? Which one do you think is more likely to deploy first??? I also want to know your thoughts on this.... National Guard battalion just came back from deployment.....will it be a few years before they can be deployed again?

Truthfully, I would go guard. The 433rd Trans Battlion here at Knox just came back from their thrid deployment in two years.

MommaGof4 said:

First, let me say: Happy Birthday!

Now, down to brass tax.

What do you and your husband want?

I'll try and cover the basic pros and cons of each.

With the regular Army your pros will be a steady and reliable paycheck, medical benefits, post housing (that might need to be a con too :mrgreen: ), educational benefits. The cons would be: You'll have to move to the post your husband is going to be stationed at. Depending on the MOS he chooses, even if he isn't deployed he may have to work long hours. There will be times, regardless of the MOS that he's going to be away for TDYs (temporary duty), FTXs (field training), etc. He is in the Army 24/7/365. He might get deployed for 6, 12, or even 18 months.

With the National Guard, your pros are: You shouldn't have to move as long as there is a unit with his desired MOS nearby, or that is at least within a drivable distance. He'll only report two days a month and two weeks a year. Depending on your state, you may have good educational benefits. You'll get many of the same discounts you would if you were active duty. He'll still be getting paid to attend drills.
The cons would be: He's not getting paid that much and you won't get all of those cute little income supplements like BAH, etc. He'll have to keep his civilian job. No medical benefits. If he's gung-ho about serving, he may not find it satisfying to only be able to "soldier" two days a month, two weeks a year. He could get deployed for 6, 12 or even 18 months.

These are just some basics. I would sit down with him and talk it over, find out exactly what he's looking for from the military, what his long term goals are. Then you tell him your goals and expectations. Try to be as open as honest with each other as possible, the time to share your opinions is before he signs the contract, because once he's done it, there is no going back. You want to go into this thing feet first and have an open line of communication.

Back