NASCAR is a southern sport

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/roy_johnson/10/10/roy1010/index.html

This person and anyone else who has trouble with the southern cross can get stuffed. Stick to watching the Indy 500, Formula One racing or something else... but leave NASCAR alone. The sport originated in the south as a friendly competition between moonshine runners back in the day. It was run by good ol boys and this crap now since it is suddenly popular with the rest of the US is :cen: .

It makes as much sense as the nitwits who are up in arms about the New Zealand rugby team being racist because its name is the 'All Blacks' :roll:

Back off, no one is putting a gun to your head and making you watch this sport. The southern cross aka the rebel flag from the US Confederacy is NOT synonymous with slavery and bugger Lincoln for making that specious leap in his reasoning for the war when the public opinion faltered on its true grounds of commerce and unequal representation in the federal government.

You wanna get real technical about symbols of slavery then quit screwin around and go for broke... the Portuguese flag should burn the eyes of every descendant of slaves in the New World when viewed. They were the traders that made it all happen. In fact I am going to start a protest movement at the World Cup to have their fans not be able to wave their national flag about as it is offensive to me as a symbol of slavery.

:evil:

The southern cross aka the rebel flag from the US Confederacy is NOT synonymous with slavery.
Then, I just want to know...What is it?Southern Pride? Hell no. A big part of the South was slavery so what pride could the south have?

If you look closely at the history of the southern states you will see that they were closer in practice to the ideals of the founding fathers. The warrior tradition was strongest in the south, that's something to be proud of. Agriculture was king in line with the thinking of Thomas Jefferson, his entire reasoning behind the illegal Louisiana Purchase was to ensure the future of the young nation would be agrarian and not industrialised like Europe had become. Jefferson viewed industrialisation as a great evil. The very thing the North had become. Being proud of being outnumbered and outgunned from the outset but being able to kick the North's ass for four years before the war of attrition under the 'brilliant' guidance of Grant broke the back of the Confederacy. Damn yankee. Then putting up with years of being economically raped by the carpetbagger northern scum that came down to opportunistically prey on the war ravaged south.

There is pride in hardship that yer young years could not begin to comprehend.

shooter.gif

The last great victory of the Southern States in the Civil War was chicamauga and chatanooga...Not exactly four years but if you think that how to count...go ahead. As to industrialization..The United States had to become industrialized anyway to keep up with the rest of the world. Sure agriculture is still a huge part, I agree with you there, but neither the North or the South could have fought without industry. Why do you think the North won? Part of it was tactics, part was numbers, and a BIG part was industry. The manipulating of metal has been an integral part to all of American life. Jefferson was not a psychic, he couldnt see any farther than two days ahead of himself, he may have been a Founding Father, but he was no more a smart President than Clinton. I for one live in the South but I am ashamed that the only thing we are ever remembered for is Slavery. I have no pride in my part of the state of Alabama and given the chance would move to a northern,accepting state anytime.

The architect of the US Constitution and inventor was no smarter than Clinton? Obviously history lessons in school aren't what they used to be. :roll: Sorry you're so ashamed of your heritage and see it through such Northern eyes. I am not. Nor am I a racist. The CSA is not synonymous with slavery except with those who would emasculate and pillage all that is good and noble about the southern states. Its a free country and last I heard there are no restrictions on where you live or want to move to within the US of A.

Just leave NASCAR alone is all I ask.

age restricts freedom...Duh. And this wasnt about NASCAR it was about the displaying of the Southern Cross at an event that happened to be NASCAR. It was about the Confederate Flag. You used NASCAR to stab at people who are ignorant of the real reasons behind displaying the Confederate Flag. Even though it isnt directly connected with slavery how many Northerners had slaves? Ill tell you. Only a few. Much less than the south. And as the president clinton-jefferson thing. No i dont think that jefferson would have thought of industry as a "great evil" if he knew how important it was going to be in America's history. I was making a reference to his intelligence as a President..not him as a person or as ONE of the writers of the Constitution. Clinton wasnt a smart PRESIDENT because he lied about he Lewinski(sp) insident. You cant do that if you are the nations leader. Nor can one view one of the most important reasons of America's success as a great evil.

Ah to be young again and know everything. :roll:

Don't try to psycho-analyse me and decide what I was and was not intending by this thread. Ask me, I'll tell ya straight. It is as the title says, NASCAR is a southern sport and so is the Stars and Bars. To outlaw the flying of the southern flag is tantamount to forbidding someone to fly the US national flag at the World Series or the Super Bowl. The two are inextricably linked like it or not.

Real reasons for displaying the Stars and Bars-- pride. Just cuz you ain't got it don't mean the rest of us have to roll over and kowtow to the politically correct (should more accurately be "politically expedient") yankee agenda. No one ever made a fuss when it was on top of the General Lee car in the Dukes of Hazard on TV when I was a kid and they never gave a damn about it in NASCAR until the sport started to be popular north of the Mason-Dixon.

Numbers of Northern slave owners are much higher than your history books in high school let on. And the Northern states did not give a damn about slavery until they needed a moral agenda to muster popular support for the war. Prior to that they were returning slaves that had run off. Now if that ain't hypocritical then I don't know what is son.

Are you equally shamed and disturbed by the national flag of Portugal? They were the ones who engineered the slave trade from Africa to the New World. From kidnapping them in Africa to shipping them in irons across the Atlantic they had a monopoly on the supply of slaves.

Situational ethics whereby you "oppose" something only when it is convenient to do so are the most cowardly indeed.

bulldogg said:
Ah to be young again and know everything. :roll:

Real reasons for displaying the Stars and Bars-- pride. Just cuz you ain't got it don't mean the rest of us have to roll over and kowtow to the politically correct (should more accurately be "politically expedient") yankee agenda. No one ever made a fuss when it was on top of the General Lee car in the Dukes of Hazard on TV when I was a kid and they never gave a damn about it in NASCAR until the sport started to be popular north of the Mason-Dixon.That was a TV show...it was meant to be a stab at rednecks...
Numbers of Northern slave owners are much higher than your history books in high school let on. And the Northern states did not give a damn about slavery until they needed a moral agenda to muster popular support for the war. Prior to that they were returning slaves that had run off. Now if that ain't hypocritical then I don't know what is son.- They were still considerably lower than the Southern States.

Are you equally shamed and disturbed by the national flag of Portugal? They were the ones who engineered the slave trade from Africa to the New World. From kidnapping them in Africa to shipping them in irons across the Atlantic they had a monopoly on the supply of slaves.-Why should I be ashamed of a flag from a country that I dont come from nor have any heritage with? If i came from Portugal then I might be ashamed but I am from Ireland, Italy,Germany, Britian,and America.

[/b]

if im not mistaken, which is highly possible, NASCAR is the one where you drive around in a big oval right? That requires so much skill and effort and the only real test is the heat? Is that it?

i dont know how you can call anything that mundane a sport. check out V8 Supercars. They go round CORNERS, and get to turn the other way as well. all while staying at 300km/h. (180m)

hell at least its not as boring as F1 though.

Skippy its all about tradition mate. I don't piss on cricket or Aussie Rules football so please, if you will, a little respect for something that was born out of economic criminals testing their homemade machines and skills on the back roads of the deep south while also avoiding Johnny Law.

I like SuperV-8 cars but your drivers seem to be pretty bloody boring, no personality, no heated arguments and broken noses after the match... maybe if they let em down some XXXX first it might get a bit more life. ;)

Back