Napalm the bocage!

That being said I think it was greatly unfair to ask the question of Der Alte in the first place, to me it falls into the category of things you don't discuss without knowing each other a bit better kind of like wearing an "I heart Osama" tee shirt to a 9/11 commemoration sometimes it is best to say nothing and be left wondering.

Indeed, I do believe such a personal question shouldn't be thrown out so unwittingly about someone's experiances like that.

It's just a kind nod of respect towards a person in question.

I agree, it was unfair to ask Der Alte such a question
Gentlemen. Thanks for the respect shown to me. I'm not sure I deserve it.

With regard to Seehund's questions, it was me who said that all questions were welcome. I thought the question was legitimate, although I was a little surprised that it was put so directly. But if you know the Danes then you also know that they are very direct and not very politically correct. They have a very open democracy where they discuss topics that would be unthinkable in other states.

So let us forgive Seehund. He wondered about something that happened in my country and I had experienced it. It was fair.

If you do not ask - then you get no answers.

No matter how hard you try to put yourself in the shoes of those who were in combat, if you've never experienced it you do not even come close.
Although I have been at war, It is still difficult for me to relate to the experiences that our young soldiers are going through today.

I'm very lucky not to have seen combat.
You grow as a human being. Believe it or not but combat can also be peaceful.
Suddenly you are hit by an inner peace and you think, is it now? Now you are going to die? And you think that it might not be the worst day to die. Then just as suddenly you come out the other side. You are still afraid but you are no longer afraid of something concrete. Very strange feeling but also a very secure feeling.

Last edited:
Gentlemen. Thanks for the respect shown to me. I'm not sure I deserve it.

With regard to Seehund's questions, it was me who said that all questions were welcome. I thought the question was legitimate, although I was a little surprised that it was put so directly. But if you know the Danes then you also know that they are very direct and not very politically correct. They have a very open democracy where they discuss topics that would be unthinkable in other states.

So let us forgive Seehund. He wondered about something that happened in my country and I had experienced it. It was fair.

If you do not ask - then you get no answers.
Truly an officer and gentleman. :salute:

Back