Napalm the bocage! - Page 2

--

December 14th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
wrong :he always can blame the British,and he always will
He's worse then Ernie King and Stillwell put together.
December 14th, 2011  
84RFK

And then there's the aspect of collateral damage, the battle-zone wasn't like the battlefields of WW I where the civilian population was evacuated long before trenches was dug.

And while the idea of setting the rural districts of northern France ablaze could have proven efficient in a scorched-earth tactic scenario, it would be quite obvious why the allies didn't turn to those methods.
After all they were about to liberate the land, and the strain of putting out major wildfires on top of fighting the Germans would most likely stop the entire operation.
December 14th, 2011  
samneanderthal

It is always possible to withdraw your troops and then napalm the area and advance in open terrain with a lot of charred bodies.. However, BritinAfrica may be right. The planes were quite busy dropping 7,000 tons of bombs, so Monty could advance 7 miles. Mostly because the ground attack took place long after the bombing, allowing Gerry to recover.

Hi 84RFK burning Hedgerows can hardly be categorized as wildfires. The local population was bombed time and again, so that a great many French civilians died from bombing in more populated areas than the bocage.

A P-47 or a Mosquito can place the napalm pretty accurately. Little napalm is necessary, since the vegetation provides most of the fuel.
--
December 14th, 2011  
LeEnfield

It would appear that the person who is posting above has never seen any action and would not know just how napalm spreads once it is dropped. Even the shells were not always perdictable as a many things would affect there flight.
December 14th, 2011  
samneanderthal

The only combat I've seen is with my former mother in law.
Is anybody familiar with what Tedder (one of the few good British leaders) thought about Monty when he refused to use the planes to finish off Rommel after el Alamein II and when he wasted a thousand tons of bombs per mile?
December 15th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by samneanderthal
Hi 84RFK burning Hedgerows can hardly be categorized as wildfires. The local population was bombed time and again, so that a great many French civilians died from bombing in more populated areas than the bocage.

A P-47 or a Mosquito can place the napalm pretty accurately. Little napalm is necessary, since the vegetation provides most of the fuel.

Well, you see, the scorched-earth tactic is most commonly applied as a defensive strateghy, in order to deny an aggressor any possible benefit from the terrain he captures, and are generally avoided by the attacking side in the conflict.
Yes, Dresden and Hamburg was torched and burned violently after bombing raids, but they were considered enemy territory, and not a friendly country about to be liberated.

A single hedgerow is not considered a wildfire, no, but these hedgerows had a tendency to be situated close to farmland and villages, and the effect of napalm in dry land around midsummer.....you will have a wildfire.
December 15th, 2011  
samneanderthal

it was a pretty wet midsummer, so that half the flights had to be cancelled.

burning lines of trees does not compare with dropping 13,000 tons of bombs that fell too far inland to harm the coast fortifications on D-day or 7,000 tons near Caen, etc,
Carpet bombing was far worse that starting fires that allow people to run away from them.
December 15th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
The only combat I've seen is with my former mother in law.
That says it all

Quote:
Is anybody familiar with what Tedder (one of the few good British leaders) thought about Monty when he refused to use the planes to finish off Rommel after el Alamein II and when he wasted a thousand tons of bombs per mile?
Good Lor, he admits to a good British leader.

Wasted a thousand bombs a mile? Where on earth do you get your information from?

Quote:
Carpet bombing was far worse that starting fires that allow people to run away from them.
The whole idea is to kill people and destroy equipment, not allow them to run away.
December 15th, 2011  
MikeP

Proximity has not always been a big issue with Napalm or even some other stuff.
You drop it when and where you can and then sort things out.
There was probably still a steep learning curve on it's use at Normandy.
Also delivery resources.
Even Agent Orang accomplished some good things as intended.
I think a rather small number of members here have seen action or even bothered serve.
That does not preclude them having questions or thoughts.
December 15th, 2011  
42RM

@sam

Next time I go to war - join me.

Then it may be that you realize that war is a big chaos and all your good ideas are not worth a ****. In combat, things happen fast and decisions must be made ​​in a split second.

I donīt understand how you can be so arrogant without having any practical experience as a soldier. You talk to people who have/had this as their profession for many years - some even with combat experience. Are you just as damned arrogant when you talk to other professionals? Do you tell the surgeon how to perform a heart surgery – the mechanic how to assemble an engine or the lawyer how to pursue a case in court?

Why are you on this forum? Why are you asking questions when you've already decided that you know better than us? Why donīt you just write a book entitled "How the world works" then we can get the answers on everything.

You are just an arrogant idiot and nitpicker without any understanding or experience in this area.