The Names of Armoured Vehicles

Wirehead2ACR

Okay, my search skills are one step below "Google? Wha's dat?" (Okay not that bad, but close. LOL)

I am looking for the names of various armoured vehicles, ie: we call the M-1 series of tanks 'Abrams', and I remember from my stint in the service the ZSU 23-4 was called the 'Shilka' and the Isrealis have the 'Merkhava' tank.

What do other countries/languages call their vehicles?

Okay, I have one other question: The US named it's tanks after generals and this started from the Brits in WWII. Why did the Brits name them after US Civil War generals?

I'm assuming that you're referring to the M4 Sherman and the like. The UK didn't actually name it's own tanks after US Civil War generals, they named the tanks in their armament which were built in the US after Civil War generals. Notice that the Matilda, Churchill, Crusader and whatnot were not named after US generals.

And to respond to the original question:

In Canada, we have the Leopard C2 as our main battle tank. As for other armoured fighting vehicles, we have the LAVIII, Coyote, and the like.

Oh yeah, I am sorry about the lack of clarity on that. I absolutely did mean the Brits named the American tanks after US Civil War generals. My grammar skills leave much to be desired too. My Mum would be SO ashamed. (She was a grammar teacher AND Scots. Go figure. LOL!)

Back