Name that vehicle...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
While messing about I found this rather poor quality picture of a WW2 vehicle and oddly enough despite extensive Google skills I cannot find what it actually is.

OddVehicle.jpg

Best I can tell you is that it is open topped and German.

Any one have any ideas?

I have toyed with several ideas but its armament seems is too light for what I thought it could be and its length and height are out of whack for anything I can think of.

Last edited:
Here is closer version of the front drivers area.

oddvehicle2.jpg
\

The best I can come up with for a time frame is late 1944 early 1945.

I agree that the chassis looks like a Pz I or II but has been fitted with an open top as some sort of carrier.

I'm pretty much stumped mate, if the pic showed more detail then we should be able to identify the tank

Sadly those are the only two I can find, but I imagine there were not that many "special" variants of the Pz I & II chassis with this configuration.

Pz Mk IA (Sd. Kfz. 101) but unsure of the variant. The cupola opening was almost the entire top so may give a illusion as being open. The gun placement is curious. Maybe a command car.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz11.htm

Oddly enough it is the gun placing that is causing me problems, I can accept the Mk I chassis but there is definitely no turret and what looks like a shielded 20mm cannon.

My initial thoughts were that it was a Wespe with its main armament removed although that would make it a Pz II chassis.

You're right - the turret is throwing me off as well. I still thinks the chassis is a Mk IA, how about a Befehlspanzer?

Didn't want to double post but I think I found something -

from
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz11.htm

"During Spanish Civil War, PzKpfw I Ausf B was experimentally armed with Italian 20mm Breda Modello (model) 1935 light anti-aircraft gun mounted in a modified turret, in order to increase its combat potential. Some sources state that three tanks were converted that way."

and by the looks of the headgear and uniform of the one person in the pic I think that is what we're looking at.

Last edited:
Found out what it is:

Flakpanzer 38(t) Ausf.L Gepard, SdKfz.140. It's based on the Skoda 38(t) chassis.

and the pic is reversed. Thats why it was throwing me off.

You could be right and the drivers hatch does appear to be on the opposite side to where it normally is.

Back