name meanings in other places

gato201

foreign country some things in the usa mean other things in other country s. England lay by a road pull of. or rest area australia heard a add on the radio bring your worn out muff to murf's murf shop for a adjustment also oz. road sign youkers knob 2 miles. How about some more.

Um could you exaplain?? And how is this a trivia contest?

Would my town of Granite Quarry work, seeing that you have a quarry that you get granite out of is called A Granite Quarry.

Rockwell, a town right beside us, and in the center of the town, they have a park with A Rock Well

Gold Hill - I have no idea where they got the name, considering I'm not sure there is any gold there.

CrazyCadet142 said:
Gold Hill - I have no idea where they got the name, considering I'm not sure there is any gold there.

Actually, it was the first place in the US that they found Gold... I think. Feel free to correct me, but I think that's what the sign says on the interstate. (hey, thats SO not fair, they have their name on the interstate!)

Off the coast where my town is there's this tiny island called Isola di Mal di Ventre. It literally means "Belly- ache isle", but that was mispelled:
Malu Entu meant bad wind ( so that it was the bad wind isle), but Malu Entu turned for some reason into Mal di Ventre , which means belly ache isle. 8)

In Norway we have a place named Hell - it's also a Norwegian word that translates to luck in English (and a German word that translates to bright or light in English)

Is that where this picture's from?

HellFreezesOver.jpg

Plenty of place names in Australia.

Yorkeys Knob.
Iron Knob.
Bacon And Eggs Bay.
Chinaman's Knob.
Wagga Wagga (not really funny at all, but non-aussies seem to find it funny)

CrazyCadet142 said:
CrazyCadet142 said:

Actually, it was the first place in the US that they found Gold... I think. Feel free to correct me, but I think that's what the sign says on the interstate. (hey, thats SO not fair, they have their name on the interstate!)

You're correct. Not a whole lot of people know that though.

NZ maori pronounciation catches tourist's out all the time.

whaka = F**k-an

as in there is a town call whaktane (f**k-a-tahn-a)

and then there is onehunga. pronounced oni-hunga. once heard a tourist try and explain to a bus driver that he wanted to go to one hunga. driver corrected him, told him how to pronounce that partuiculer place name.

tourist replied that in that case he'd just come from oni tree hill (the one tree hill made famous by the U2 song)

don't quite know if i made myself clear, but it's funny to us kiwi's!

Back