N. Korean Mig-21 crashes in China

Well you are talking to a kid who has been drooling over planes since conception, looks like the Author should have bought a copy of Jane's aircraft identification handbook.

Amatuers......

Yeah it's always like that.
When they write about stuff you even have even the faintest clue about you can tell they're full of sh1t. But when it's about stuff you don't know, their silver tongued (or fingered, whatever) BS makes you wonder.

Agreed, when it comes to current events, the one thing I like to mention to people is HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE, it almost always matters, that in itself can speak volumes on a situation, and should be considered most crucial after the parties involved.

Why would the pilot want to defect to Russia rather than South Korea?

Surely entering Chinese airspace, with several times the length of N. Korea to cover just to get to Russia... S Korea seems like a much better option doesn't it?

Or was he perhaps trying to defect to China? Or would the Chinese send him back to be executed (or perhaps even have him shot down?)?

If he defected to China, the Chinese authorities would send him straight back to North Korea.
The pilot's starting point for the defection may have been too far away from South Korea, which explains the Russia option. He needed to bust out of North Korean air space fast.

Actually quite a lot of Koreans find asylum in Russia. As A Can of Man mentioned NK and PRC have a bilateral agreement concerning defectors, while crossing DMZ between two Koreas can be smth very difficult for a defector from The Best Korea. I'm very sorry for this man and his family.

One thing is for sure, the Mikoyan design bureau knew what they were doing all those years ago for making the Mikoyan 21, still flying today after all these years, cheap and reliable, does exactly what it was meant to do, so I suppose carrying a defecting pilot is a plus.

Back