N Korea declares itself a nuclear power

the_13th_redneck said:
North Korea won't sell nukes to terrorists because if they do, that's it. You can wipe North Korea off the map. It's not a threat, it's not a wish, it's just simply what's going to happen.

it is their last resort...

like if they think no matter wut they do, they gonna get destroyed..they will give nukes to terriosts..

but it seems north korea has been always giving nuke tech to iran and librya right?

I think the NK nuclear capability is more threatening to China than to the US.

If NK decides to invade Beijing with nuclear bombs, it takes less than 15 minutes to destroy the capital city. NK has very intricate underground city for its elite (2 million), which will survive a massive retaliation.

Will NK do so? Who knows?

China has often been conquered by much smaller neighboring states in history.. like Mongolia, Manchuria, Japan...

When these smaller states occupy the Chinese capital, other Chinese provinces are just a matter of time. ;)

Vitaly said:
This is one scary-ass time we are living in.

That's what makes life interesting.
It's funny when it became 2000, people thought the world would become a peaceful heaven just because that front digit changed from 1 to 2.

SAINT said:
China has often been conquered by much smaller neighboring states in history.. like Mongolia, Manchuria, Japan...

en....wut is the percentage of time china being conquered by other nations to the time chinese ruling themselves..

by the way, no matter who is the emperor famliy (except japan), they all follow traditional chinese way of ruling china, the same confucism as doctrine, just as the Manchurian emperor speaks out everyday, "manchurians and hans are one family (they even forgot their own lauguage), often, han ppl control the court....

and back to topic..

the only threat china faces when north korea has nukes are that it gives japan and south korea good excuses to develop their own nukes..

as north korea's sole supporter (maybe iran too, i dont know), north is not like to nuke china in maybe 30 years, but it does not take long for Japan and south korea to have nukes if they want to,

they are more like enemies for china than north korea

I read something on cnn and Jane's defense about 3-4 months ago (maybe less) about Japan changing some of their constitution to sell arms to the US. Japan planned on buying Anti-nuclear ballistic missles to help lessen the threat of nukes from NK. I dont know if they bought any yet but the U.S. and Japan are working closely to help defend the area from nuclear attack. I also read about 2-3 days ago that the US is ready to send 40% of our naval forces and 70% of our marine forces into south korea immediatley.Also Condoleeza Rice met with the Chinese foreign minister to urge them to convince NK to stop their ambitions and china seemed willing to do so.She also traveled to SK on monday. Just a little imput.

North Korea seems to be getting a little desperate now that China's position on the nuke is becoming more and more clear.

Well they are slowly getting cornered...and if Kim doesn't go on an ego trip I think this can be resolved...that said I also think that if an agreement would be made to disarm NK, they would most probably hide some percent of the gear...you know, just in case...

do u think it is purely coincedence that north korea declears itself a nuke power when china and japan 's relationship is the worst in 20 years..???

Sexybeast said:
do u think it is purely coincedence that north korea declears itself a nuke power when china and japan 's relationship is the worst in 20 years..???

A very interesting observation.

Is the Sino Japanese equation that bad?

Any links?

Well Japan has been saying China has been sending ships into thier water to build a sub that they would use to Invade them.....thier is that little thingy.

Also North Korea could just be bluffin to make sure the USA does not try anything.

japan has just recently started to deploy troops on DiaoYu island (claimed by china, taiwan and japan), a island near china....

that really pisses china off, i think china not only send nuke subs over japan, but even destroyers go over the boundries....

and japan just passed law allowing taiwanese visit japan without visa

i think it is the worst period of time in sino-japan relationship since 1980s

Yea China and Japan has been on edge, and China has sent subs and such into Japanese claimed waters.However Japan isnt nearly as concerned with China as they are with NK. The fact is that China wouldn't risk invading Japan anytime soon. Japan is still under the U.S.'s military umbrella,even more so now since Asia seems to be quickly becoming a hotspot, and Japan provides a window into Asia for the U.S.

Anyways China will most likely keep to their word to help stop NK since if they don't they will be indirectly responsible for being their friend, which will offect them politically and economically and China can't take that risk. the fact that NK did this seems to me as kind of a sign of desperation. They need something to hold over other nation's heads as blackmail and power so they can be relatively important.Kim Jong-Il is just on a power trip, not much else to say.

I heard someone on this thread say that economic sanctions hurt the people of NK since he takes the money from them,which starves them, however, I would guess that without he sanctions he would just take THAT much more from the people :( .

I don't see NK prospering with Kim Jong-Il at the wheel.Any agreement that is reached will only be temporary with him. It would be like taking spoiled milk and putting it back in the fridge and hope it would be better the next day :? .

Anyways thats just my opinion. :rambo:

if u think china truly keeps its promise to help U.S to hold north korea, u r too childish....

who is the biggest supporter of North korea, who gives million tons of oil to north korea? who gives weapons to North korea?

china is playing the north korea card just like U.S is playing the taiwan card against china.....it is just another part of internal political game...

Zyca said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12836-2005Feb10.html

What is going to be the reaction from around the world? If the US cannot get China to act against NK, would a war against NK be a possible scenario? There's also Iran in the picture... this is getting quite messy.

Mmmm... nookuler power...

I think the maion thing the chinese see now is the fact that if a unified Korea is formed through war and it is a democracy than the people of China being so close may try to escape through.

Darcia said:
I think the maion thing the chinese see now is the fact that if a unified Korea is formed through war and it is a democracy than the people of China being so close may try to escape through.

en...ur idea is very immature and u look at things only in a very very low level of thinking, rather than looking at this problem in a level of global politics and strategies....

north korea is an important strategic frontier for china, concerning not just now, but for the later generations of chinese ppl, the threat from japan or U.S have never been reduced, and actually increasing.....
having north korea as an ally or strategic buffer zone is a for china to protect itself and its manchuria area (the most heavily industrialized region in china)...

if u just look at things in china now, (rather than in a scope of past 5000 years of china, and next 5000 years of china), u can just say china is scared of a democratic country bla, bla, back to ur 1950s Red Threat theories or cold war method of thinking, very low level..

i think right now, perhaps u read more news, china and japan are having the worst relationiship perhaps since WW2....a bloody armed clash is possible on the island of Diaoyu (claimed by china and japan) near china's coast...as japan has recently said they will deploy troops there,
also, japan has just listed china as a major threat in its new defence principles...japan also supports taiwan as it just allowed taiwan's independist leader to visit japan

and i think while japan is playing taiwan and Diaoyu cards with china, china is playing North korea card in return, allowing north korea to declare its nuke capability (i seriously doubt that china didn't help north korea on this one, or giving money, giving other resources, as china is the largest support (practical support, giving real things) for north korea).

Back