My Unit Didn't Contact Me!!!

--

April 27th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Topic: My Unit Didn't Contact Me!!!

When I elnisted, i was told my unit would contact me within a week. That was over three weeks ago. I've got less than a week until my first drill and they still havn't called. I called and e-mailed my recruiter every day for two weeks with hardly any contact (a few times he said he would look into it) and tonight he finally gave me my unit's number. I'll call them tomorrow. I'm kinda of upset. I can't help but feel a little bit like they don't care about me now that i've signed.
April 27th, 2004  
Darkmb101

dont worry youll feel the love as soon as the drilling begins.
Esprit de corps
April 27th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
I can't help but feel a little bit like they don't care about me now that i've signed.
Well, essentially they don't. You won't really be an asset until you've completed BCT/AIT/OSUT. Your recruiter did his job, and you're no longer a concern for him either. Don't let it bother you. Once you start drilling, you'll feel more welcome (see Dark's post) ... and maybe even make a few friends. There could be many reasons as to why they didn't contact you .. depending on the unit and location, things are pretty hectic right now. Welcome to the Army!

My advice? F.I.D.O.
--
April 27th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Understandable... I'm sure you are expecting me to ask so... F.I.D.O?
April 27th, 2004  
Redneck

F**k It, Drive On.

You should make some friends pretty quick, I wouldn't get too worried about it.
May 2nd, 2004  
c/Commander

You are National Guard, correct?

Don't worry about it, just show up at your drills and you'll be fine. Don't get you face pressed into the grinder for too long.
May 3rd, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Yeah, ARNG. The problem WAS that my unit hand't contacted me to notify me of when drills were (or where they were for that matter). Nobody told me anything. I ended up calling my RRNCO 900 times and finally made him get my unit phone number for me. Then i called that 5 times per day until i finally got him to send me a schedual. It's all fixed now.
May 3rd, 2004  
DTop

So you haven't completed basic or AIT? Don't be surprised if you end up on KP or some other lovely detail. Don't get upset because as Rndr said you're not an asset to the unit at this point and if they're going to pay you then they will put you to work somehow (or at least they should). When is your first drill? I'd love to hear what happens.
I didn't realize you could attend drills without being trained but, if that's the way they do things in the NG, that's all the more reason I'd like to hear what they do with untrained recruits.
May 3rd, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

I thought that I told you that Split Op is not the best way to go. I was a split op, it sucked. You are completely untrained, like Rndr said you are not yet an asset. They best thing you can do now, is ASK QUESTIONS. The guys in my unit were great about training me up for basic. When I left I had fired an M16, thrown a dummy grenade, and even got to drive a Bradley(but that was a little less than legal), But do not be afraid to ask questions, I don't think I can stress that enough. FIDO.
May 3rd, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

My first drill with my unit, I went to the field. Talk about mind warping. I was a litterally brand new 17 year old HS junior who got dropped into the NG with a bunch of guys who were almost old enough to be my fathers, and some (1SG) were even old enough to be my grandfather. Most of the guys in my unit, because we were so close to Lejune and Bragg, had done some AD time. My SQD LDR was 24th ID in the first Gulf, my Team leader had his long tab, and my PSG had a combat jump and CIB with the 82nd. You can learn so much from these guys just listen.