My turn to be confused...

Lilmissflamethrower

I am not in the military either. I have some questions I always have been curious about

2. I noticed in the news, when a solider died in Iraq, our paper would say, if 3 soliders were killed "3 troops died today." I thought a troop was a bunch of people? How can one guy be a troop?

3. I was told that people in the Navy, when they went on land, were immediatley stepped up one rank.

4. Can you tell me where I can find information about the rankings of different military groups, ie., Marines, Navy, etc? We have different military groups visit where I work from time to time and I can't understand looking at their uniforms, who is what (except I know crps, sgts, lts, and majors). I don't understand the Navy rankings whatsoever... What I mean is the list of ranks and also the insignia.

Thanks, Stacey

1) According to the dictionary you're right about this one.

Main Entry: 1troop
Pronunciation: 'trüp
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French trope, troupe company, herd, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English thorp, throp village -- more at THORP
1 a : a group of soldiers b : a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company c plural : ARMED FORCES, SOLDIERS
2 : a collection of people or things : CREW 2
3 : a flock of mammals or birds
4 : the basic organizational unit of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts under an adult leader

3) Redleg's own site. http://www.military-ranks.com/

Back