My son is wanting to join the military but is flat footed

TonyaER

A.J. has wanted to join the military for as long as I can remember he is 15 years old and Military stuff hangs all over his room, he thrives in the outdoor...however he is flat footed and I have always heard the military will not take anyone with flat feet. Is that true? How do I break the news to him if he cant join?

That was the old army. I am a flat footed guy who went into the Army in 1997. We did our little walk around thing for our physical. Afterward, the doc called me in and asked a bunch of questions about my ankles and knees. I told him I did all kinds of physical activity and had no problems. He told me that I was one of the most flat footed person he had seen. He also said if I had tried to join back in the late 80's I would have been denied for having flat feet.

When I was in, the combat boots were pure agony if you had flat feet. They didn't know a lot about insole design back then.

Another flat-footed former GI chimes in.
I was in for 5 years and also spent 18 years in the reserves. They did not turn me down.

um would it be wise that if he *really* wants in to just flat out lie to them and say he has never had any problems with it and yes they are flat but he still does a range of physical activity with no impairment

from what iv read at a couple of places, they whill flunk you pretty quickly, so dont give them any reason to

Locke said:
um would it be wise that if he *really* wants in to just flat out lie to them and say he has never had any problems with it and yes they are flat but he still does a range of physical activity with no impairment

from what iv read at a couple of places, they whill flunk you pretty quickly, so dont give them any reason to

unless things have changed in the last few months when i was on the island they put you on the light box that checks for flat feet as soon as you get there, not to mention at meps. Flat out lying would get you kicked off the island MAYBE for something that obvious. I've seen ppl get kicked off for some dumb reasons like asthma at the age of three but getting to stay on when they tried to leave the range with live rounds or striking a DI. i don't think that there is a deifinitive way to determine it.

in my honest opinion don't tell him let him be the one to hear it from the docs or the recruiter. that way it won't be his mom later on in life that he resents every time he thinks about not getting in!

they have no access to your civilian doctor records, they cant tell if your lying or not. if they discover it and he acts dumb like he didnt know, he iwll be fine. but on the other note, its probably better not to have to act suprised.

Mod Edit: Do not let me see another post giving such advice again. If you want to potentially ruin your military career, fine - but you won't advise others to do so on this site.

I am also flat footed but did my service and nothing happened!

But I guess, most flat foots (if i m not wrong) will end up in non-combat units, right?

I run/walk flat footed but I do have an arch...they didn't say anything at meps and I didn't know anything was serious about that.
It won't stop me from joining. I promise you that. He should be fine since he hasn't had any problems with it. Make sure he runs a couple of miles 3 times a week...good practice

NewRecruitAFR2332 said:
Mod Edit: Do not let me see another post giving such advice again. If you want to potentially ruin your military career, fine - but you won't advise others to do so on this site.

Hey, this was my first time doing this and my comment was not meant to bash the Army in anyway. After all, my brother was in the Army. I was just mentioning what people use to say. It was not suppose to be hurtful. I'm sorry. I'm not saying that people who are in the Army are what was said in my post. That is why there were quotation marks around it. So this is not fair. I was just stating facts. Thank you very much for listening.

Sorry to those I may have offended but it wasn't meant to be taken that way. I was just saying that the Army takes anyone, which is true. Unless they are truly messed up any which way.

First you need to check your PM's. Then you need to post and introduction in the welcoming center.

Back