My son is wanting to join the military but is flat footed

actually, through reflexology it is possible to develop an arch in a flat foot. Here's something I picked up from my weight trainer/reflexologist/therapist/damn near anything else physical you can think of: Take a golf ball and put it under your foot, and while you're busy watching TV or whatever, roll the golfball around under your foot. You're stimulating a huge number of pressure points there, and while his bones are still mildly malleable, it is possible that repeated sesssions of this can create an arch in the foot.

First let him go through with it. Let him go to MEPS when he turns 17 or 18 and let the doctor there decide if he is flat footed. Ever since I was little I was told by regular doctors that I had flat feet. I have also wanted to join the Navy as long as I can remember. I went to MEPS this past Monday and the doctor told me I don't have flat feet after all.

Good adivice, NavyBrat88. My brother was also told that he had flat feet when he was a teenager. He also went to MEPS and was told that he didn't. He retired from the U.S. Air Force after 20 years in 1990.

Time marches on

Things have changed from the early 60s. It used to be that flat feet would get you bounced out of MEPS faster than it took to unpack your toothbrush. That is not true today. The Army along with the other branches, now know that boot inserts can resolve a lot of the problems with feet that we were not able to resolve or treat in the 50s and 60s.

My recommendation would be to let your son know he "may" have a problem with the doctors when he goes to MEPS, but don't worry about it till he sees the doctors.

From what I've been able to find out from an Army doctor friend of mine (just back from Iraq), the only flatfoot sufferers that are being turned down are those who have suffered permanent damage to their feet. What that means is that a boot insert would not help them and the military does not wish to take someone that already has an incapacitating condition.

DON'T WORRY TODAY ABOUT THOSE THINGS THAT CAN BE TAKEN CARE OF TOMORROW.

Back