My reaction to the President

Duty Honor Country

[FONT=&quot]I have thought long and hard about my reaction to the man I did not vote for becoming President. Today I have my answer. President Obama is living the American Dream. The history of the United States has not been kind to African Americans. They were imported as slaves and were so for almost 90 years. After the American Civil War, they were brought out of slavery and into a second class citizen status with few rights. African Americans only received full rights half a century ago and had to endure a lasting prejudice afterward. President Obama's election has proven the progress that our society has made and will continue to make. He proves that anyone can be who they want to be. Make the right decisions, work hard coupled with a few other good virtues and the possibilities are endless. The American Dream does not lie with government or the President himself, it lies within each and every one of us.

I wish President Obama the best of luck enduring the turbulent waters called politics.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]DHC[/FONT]

NOTE: I kept Politics out of this and I hope others will do the same.

[FONT=&quot]I have thought long and hard about my reaction to the man I did not vote for becoming President. Today I have my answer. President Obama is living the American Dream. The history of the United States has not been kind to African Americans. They were imported as slaves and were so for almost 90 years. After the American Civil War, they were brought out of slavery and into a second class citizen status with few rights. African Americans only received full rights half a century ago and had to endure a lasting prejudice afterward. President Obama's election has proven the progress that our society has made and will continue to make. He proves that anyone can be who they want to be. Make the right decisions, work hard coupled with a few other good virtues and the possibilities are endless. The American Dream does not lie with government or the President himself, it lies within each and every one of us.

I wish President Obama the best of luck enduring the turbulent waters called politics.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]DHC[/FONT]

NOTE: I kept Politics out of this and I hope others will do the same.
Hoorah. I support this post 100%. It's just the truth... Regardless of his political views, he just wants to do what he feels is right to help the country move forward and keep it's position as the best nation on earth... Plain and simple. Now, where your views lie on what is best for the nation and how to get to those ends is politics, and that's one of his hardest challenges right there.

AB, it's not so much that his mom doesn't count as it is there isn't really a PC term for a mixed person... (I think... That may be my utter ignorance coming out.)

AB, it's not so much that his mom doesn't count as it is there isn't really a PC term for a mixed person... (I think... That may be my utter ignorance coming out.)

I don't know about a PC term, but Wikipedia says:
Mulatto is a term used to describe a person with one white parent and one black parent or a person who has black ancestry and white ancestry,[1] perceived as pejorative and demeaning in some cultures and endearing in others.[2] Its current usage varies greatly.

I guess it's all about the PC, huh? LOL

I'm with AB on this one. We all say we have gotten over racism, and yes, electing a half-black president is a huge sign of this. But why does everyone call him african-american? he is still half white. Are we still going by the one drop rule? just alittle african-american blood and someone is black? while I am on this rant, what is with the term "african-american"? are they african or american? I dont look at my family history and say I am German or Scots-Irish. I might say I have German and Scots-Irish blood, or my long dead relatives were those, but I am AMERICAN! Just like President Obama and all the other black and white and any other color of the rainbow. If you are an American citizen, you are American.

sorry this was off topic. Best of luck to our new president; guide us well.

I'm with DHC on this one.....let's see what that man got in his sleeves for us for 4 years.

I'm with AB on this one. We all say we have gotten over racism, and yes, electing a half-black president is a huge sign of this. But why does everyone call him african-american? he is still half white. Are we still going by the one drop rule? just alittle african-american blood and someone is black? while I am on this rant, what is with the term "african-american"? are they african or american? I dont look at my family history and say I am German or Scots-Irish. I might say I have German and Scots-Irish blood, or my long dead relatives were those, but I am AMERICAN! Just like President Obama and all the other black and white and any other color of the rainbow. If you are an American citizen, you are American.

sorry this was off topic. Best of luck to our new president; guide us well.

I agree with your stand on hyphenated americans. You should read what Teddy Roosevelt said about this back in 1907. Look here: http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/theodore-roosevelt-americanism-1907-a-t15543.html

For that matter, why is Tiger Woods always described as African-American when he has white AND Asian blood in him? (He gets pretty annoyed at it himself, saying it disrespects his mother's Thai heritage.)

Anyways, back on topic -- I found myself having the same reaction as DHC on Tuesday as I watched on the Inauguration. And also the same reaction as TI! :salute2:

For that matter, why is Tiger Woods always described as African-American when he has white AND Asian blood in him? (He gets pretty annoyed at it himself, saying it disrespects his mother's Thai heritage.)
I get the feeling it's the same reason that there is always one African American country music star in Nashville; it's just so people can say they're not racist. Deep down, we all still are. Some of us are just better at controlling it and not letting it show through than others. If we celebrate a guy who's half of a different race, then that makes us feel better, even subconciously, because at least he's half like us. It's not because of anything we did wrong. It's just a combination of liking what's familiar to you (i.e. the color of your own skin) with thousands of years of prejudice and racism that's just engrained deep within our brains.

Thoughts?

(Note: With this comment I am atttempting to represent how I feel about white america, myself included. I am not making any attempt to be intentionally racist or to justify it in any way, just trying to convey how I feel about why, if you will.)

Watch it. Charlie Pride is a musical genius. Anybody goin to San Antone is a work of freakin art.

I didn't vote for Obama, but every time I hear someone say "I hope this goes badly" or "God let's hope he sucks", I just want to scream. It's not about him anymore, it's about the country. Some unity, in whatever direction it takes us, is a good thing. He's popular, seems to be on top of things, and so far is doing more or less exactly what he said he would in the campaign. Nothing wrong with a little integrity.

I think my neighbor said it best...

We were talking about the black/white thing... he is dark skinned (I think he said his grandmother was Caucasian) and he is married to a Caucasian woman. He said that he told his son, "when filling out paperwork that asks for your race, if you feel like a white boy that day, tell them you're white; if you feel like you're a black boy that day, tell them you are black."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a great student of past or present American politics, but I certainly feel that President Obama will be a watershed for the American political system.

I wish him and his administration "All the Very Best".

I feel they are in a position to make sweeping changes, but it will not be easy,.. for anyone.

Traditionally, the US electorate does not allow both the Presidency and the Congress to be dominated by one party for more than 1 election cycle. I suspect that the republicans will gain some seats in the congress in the next election period. I suppose that is an unconscious way of balancing the power.

I am with DHC on this and hope that he does well and helps the country. He is my CINC now and regardless of my opinion I will follow lawful orders.

Regardless. I wish him luck.

Never before have so many people in Germany celebrated the inauguration of an american president. I don't dislike Obama, i'll see what he is capable of before judging him- i think most people should do that. Anyway i think many people in Germany consider Obama as a sign for big changes, but i'm not quite sure if that is what's going to happen. Most people in Germany are happy that the "'stupid cowboy' who brought war into our neighbourhood" is gone. (at least that's what most of the Germans think- however not me)
I wish your country all the best and i hope he'll get you out of the financial crisis because our economy is strongly dependend on other nations (no.1 export worldwide):-o

I didn't vote for Obama, but every time I hear someone say "I hope this goes badly" or "God let's hope he sucks", I just want to scream. It's not about him anymore, it's about the country.

+1

I was not a supporter of him before elections, but I truly hope he can do some good to the country.

Anyone who wants to sit back and hope for anything worse to happen is an idiot and needs a good slap to bring them back to reality - the reality they will have to live with if things do get worse.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope it will go well.

Back