My Novel!

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hey all! As I've mentioned in my first post, I'm writing a novel!

The first part of it, involves the death of the main character's best friend while on operations. After that, the main character is re-assigned to a joint SAS/DEVGRU op, the primary objective of the operation is to take out a high-value target. The secondary objective is to recover a laptop with high-value-intelligence stored on it. The op is going to plan, the assassination takes place using snipers.

The ground team of six men then assault the compound, unfortunately for them, circling several thousand feet above, is a QM-9 Reaper Drone, on autonomous mode. It has been pre-programmed with a destination and target (which just so happens to be the compound). It delivers its payload of AGM-114 Hellfire missiles on target.

Is this plausible? With all the safeguards in place? Accidents happen right? But, I'm looking for some kind of back-drop, the SAS/DEVGRU guys were there to assassinate a HVT, and their secondary objective was to obtain a laptop from within the compound. The laptop contains information (quite what that info is, I haven't worked it out yet) it is however booby-trapped by the Taliban HVT, who, realising that his days are numbered and not wanting his enemies to get ahold of whatever the information is that is on the hard drive of the laptop. He places explosives beneath the keyboard: enter the password, hit enter, and BOOM.

Although the flight and target were pre-programmed into it, the drone is under the command of a NATO country (not quite sure who to pin it on yet). How could a NATO country not know about an operation being conducted by British and American Special Forces, with communication the way it is today... seems a bit unlikely. Or worse, perhaps that country specifically programmed the drone in a deliberate attempt to stop them obtaining the information that was on the laptop (kind of a FAIL because the Taliban dude destroyed it anyway.) Or maybe he doesn't... maybe the explosives do not detonate for some reason, somehow the hard drive survives!

Sorry, I'm just spouting out ideas, anyway, have at 'er.

Thanks, hawky.

Hi Hawky. That sounds interesting.

What’s possible and not possible for SF / SOF teams and how such a mission would take place is not something we should reply to in an open forum. Some of us have the knowledge and would be happy to help you, but this is from a security reason not possible.

That a Drone and a SF team have the same objective at the same time does not sound credible. Remember, there are some who are responsible for the airspace in the area and what do you think happens if you send an unknown object into such an area?

Friendly forces can be recognized by drones and gun ships and their positions can automatically be logged into a fire control system on board an aircraft as a no-shoot area. I can’t tell you how it works technically. Security again!

There will unfortunately be a few things we can’t answer, but don’t let it hold you back, ask away and you'll get answers whenever possible with regard to operational security.

A good tip is to read the books written by current or former members of Special Forces and some of their missions, then you have an idea of how these forces operate and what will be plausible.

But as I said, just ask away.

The takedown Team would probably try to ARREST the man in question, if this is a intel gathering OP you would try your level best to bring anything and everything with intel value out of that compound...That would include the HVT.
Things could happen and a firefight erupt in wich the HVT are neutralized that is plausible.

Noone would try to break the password of a laptop on site.
It would be brought out with anything else of intel value for experts to have a look at.
Not plausible.

The actual Team doing the takedown are usually from the same unit.
You train for years on end to be able to do it right as a group. You don´t mix and match if it can be avoided.

I don´t know of a single incident where an armed drone have been used in a takedown.
For takedowns they are used for realtime fotage and intelgathering.

Where in all this are your doorkickers backup Team?
I mean, two or more Helos with snipers flying top cover.
The C&C Aircraft.
The QRF with heavy armament.
The Spectre gunship..

KJ sends..

Hawky;
Listen to KJ, he is a good source and he knows better than I what can be told and not told.

The takedown Team would probably try to ARREST the man in question, if this is a intel gathering OP you would try your level best to bring anything and everything with intel value out of that compound...That would include the HVT.
Things could happen and a firefight erupt in wich the HVT are neutralized that is plausible.

It would be brought out with anything else of intel value for experts to have a look at.
Not plausible.

You train for years on end to be able to do it right as a group. You don´t mix and match if it can be avoided.

I don´t know of a single incident where an armed drone have been used in a takedown.

The C&C Aircraft.
The Spectre gunship..

KJ sends..

Well, I'll change the whole joint-op thing then. As for backup, the HVT also has several AA installations, DShk's, MANPADS, etc. The team does have a Spectre on standby should they need it for backup, although due to the threat to the aircraft from the AA on the ground, Command isn't too keen to use it.

Also, Drones have been used for attacks on specified targets though, have they not? And the Reaper can be pre-programmed for a target.

The entire operation is being watched by HQ via satellite uplink. As far as joint-operations go, look at Task Force Black... that has been known to participate in joint operation betwixt the SAS and Navy SEALs was it not?

Negative.
Task Force Black as you call them where rotating Sabre squadrons from twentytwo, plus a few troops from RM42,s cousins (before the theatre split).
According to the published and now open information..

Back to the novel.
Should AA assets still be alive around the target building when the takedown went in they would have been supressed BIGTIME before anyone even came close to the compound.
You DO NOT want to get caught hanging off the ropes under AA fire.
THAT much I though where rather obvious.
Hell RPG,s can take out helicopters, never mind MANPADs.

Should said theoretical AA have the range do defeat a Spectre at normal operational altitude the mission would not go in before it were taken out. Period.

Drones used at takedowns are NOT weaponsplatforms. Period.
They are intelgathering platforms.

That is what I am about to answer on an open forum.
You may send me a PM and I will sort out what I can in private?

KJ sends..

I know you guys are helping him which is great, and I know you are helping him get his novel to be as accurate as possible by sharing your expertise. Which again is great.

This is my opinion. But seeing as this is a novel I am sure some accuracy could be sacrificed for entertainment purposes. Even ex-SF types do that when they write fiction. That is not to say hawky don't try and learn how things are actually done....

Mehhh why am I trying to tell an author how to do his job ?? haha good luck

Thanks Captiva! I'm not beyond stretching the realms of plausibility, but I do not want a soldier picking up my book and thinking "What the f*ck is this? This guy has no clue." Which is quite true, I've never been a combat soldier, and so I don't have a clue what it's like to live the life, but I'm trying to depict that as closely as I can.

Plausibility and realism is a big thing for me, I don't want someone to read the book and think "That'd never happen in real life." Or, "that's not how it's done." Ya'know?

And while I think it would be awesomely entertaining to read about how a Spectre gunship was shot down while a live op was taking place, I don't want military members to look at that and say "that'd never happen because of this, this and this."

My time period is current/near-future warfare. And I realise that technology is changing constantly, but anyway, I want to adhere to realism and plausibility as much as I can - and yet still be entertaining for my readers.

Not plausible.

The C&C Aircraft.
The Spectre gunship..

KJ sends..

Sounds good to me.

As I, too, am writing a military/spy story, I'll defer to your wisdom when spouting ideas.:rock:

Back