My Military Career

Damien435

So, here is a timeline of my military career as it appears that door is now shut for me.

July 1st, 2004: Join the Army
July 2004 - June 2005: Army Delayed Entry Program
June 15th, 2005: Discharged from Army, torn left ACL, ironically this would have been my parents' 20th wedding anniversary.
April 2006: Cleared by MEPS to re-enlist
April 2006: Rejected by MEPS, Reason: Mandatory one year wait between knee surgery and re-enlistment, recruiter didn't do their homework.
June 2007: Rejected once again by MEPS, Reason: Need to have screws in knee removed.
June 2007: I give up on joining military.

This is pretty much just a rant, I'm really pissed off at MEPS, my recruiter in Brookings, SD, and the Army in general. Despite the opinion of my orthopedic surgeon, that removing the screws will do more damage to my knee than leaving them in, MEPS is convinced I need them removed. This will be considered elective surgery since it is not necessary and my insurance won't cover it, which leaves me responsible for paying out of my own pocket. It's odd, I was fine with essentially signing my life away when joining the Army the first time knowing full well that I could die, yet I won't fork over $10,000 to pay for unnecessary surgery to join an organization with an annual budget of $600,000,000,000. If the Army feels so strongly that I need this surgery why won't they pay for it? At the rate the Pentagon spends money it should only take 2.3792 seconds to approve the surgery.

I guess the lesson here, to any of you thinking about joining is this: If you think you have any injuries don't take it upon yourself to find out before shipping to basic. Aggravate the injury at basic because then it becomes the Army's problem, not yours. At least that's what I learned from all this.

Hey man, it´s not for everyone.

Better you discover it now, then have your knee give up on you under fire kid.

Thing is, most civilians doesn´t understand the strains this work place on your body.
Or the ramifications of finding out at the wrong time.

You´ll just have to trust the guys who did your physical and press on with your civilian career.
There are several civilian jobs that will let you serve your nation as well, if that is what you want?

I for one would like to know where you plan on going from here.
Remember, nothing possitive have ever come out of crying over spilt milk.

//KJ.

Wonder why they won't let you join with screws in your knee.

Oh well, look at the bright side; at least your chance of getting shot/exploding is that much lower.

Nothing that involves the military, everything goes through MEPS and they're the ones sitting around with their thumbs up their asses telling me to get the screws removed even though my orthopedic surgeon says they should stay in.

I know how do you feeling for can't join the military. I want to join the Corps but I can't...well, you know, I'm deaf with a cochlear implants.

I was just rereading this thread and realized my post was kind of insensitive. I'd be devastated if I found out I'd be unable to follow my chosen path over something like that.

Here's hoping they make an exception for ya, Damien.

Nothing that involves the military, everything goes through MEPS and they're the ones sitting around with their thumbs up their asses telling me to get the screws removed even though my orthopedic surgeon says they should stay in.

There is something that is called a Beau-Med Waiver. If you get statements from your doctor and a few other doctors then go with that to the recruiter perhaps he/she can put in for a waiver for you. It is worht checking out at least.

So, here is a timeline of my military career as it appears that door is now shut for me.

July 1st, 2004: Join the Army
July 2004 - June 2005: Army Delayed Entry Program
June 15th, 2005: Discharged from Army, torn left ACL, ironically this would have been my parents' 20th wedding anniversary.
April 2006: Cleared by MEPS to re-enlist
April 2006: Rejected by MEPS, Reason: Mandatory one year wait between knee surgery and re-enlistment, recruiter didn't do their homework.
June 2007: Rejected once again by MEPS, Reason: Need to have screws in knee removed.
June 2007: I give up on joining military.

This is pretty much just a rant, I'm really pissed off at MEPS, my recruiter in Brookings, SD, and the Army in general. Despite the opinion of my orthopedic surgeon, that removing the screws will do more damage to my knee than leaving them in, MEPS is convinced I need them removed. This will be considered elective surgery since it is not necessary and my insurance won't cover it, which leaves me responsible for paying out of my own pocket. It's odd, I was fine with essentially signing my life away when joining the Army the first time knowing full well that I could die, yet I won't fork over $10,000 to pay for unnecessary surgery to join an organization with an annual budget of $600,000,000,000. If the Army feels so strongly that I need this surgery why won't they pay for it? At the rate the Pentagon spends money it should only take 2.3792 seconds to approve the surgery.

I guess the lesson here, to any of you thinking about joining is this: If you think you have any injuries don't take it upon yourself to find out before shipping to basic. Aggravate the injury at basic because then it becomes the Army's problem, not yours. At least that's what I learned from all this.

Sorry to hear that Damien.

Still, there are lots of ways to serve your country. Ever thought about the PD or FD? They always need 'a few good men'.

Hey man go easy!

Ok it's easy to see you are angry and disapointed mate. But thats the sour cards you got dealt! When my brother took a round in Northern Ireland (Leg wound) He was regular Scots Infantry. Our father made me promise (I was oldest) I would not join up. I joined the 15th Parachute Regiment as a result! (reserve or TAVR). I too was injured (lower back) and was offered an allternative the Royal Artillery, I took it and enjoyed my time. Now here is the punch line....If you want to serve then do, but enter through the army reserve, do loads of courses and get a commision, then transfer to regular, ok the Brit and US army are different, but very much the same in many ways. Investigate this mate and let us all know how you get on. Finally if all else fails..you have my respect and appreciation for trying and also everyone who has answered you or viewed your post.

Semper Fi!

AlphaHound
:drunkb:

There is something that is called a Beau-Med Waiver. If you get statements from your doctor and a few other doctors then go with that to the recruiter perhaps he/she can put in for a waiver for you. It is worht checking out at least.

That's what I was working on this last round, had statements from my doctor claiming that removing the screws would cause more damage than leaving them in, MEPS wouldn't give me the waiver though.

Alpha, I was trying to get into the reserves this last time around, well the National Guard actually, but it all goes through the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) which is where I am running into problems.

Thanks for the words of advice guys, I have a cousin who is some sort of regional director for the FBI in Cedar Rapids, IA. I want to get in touch with him and talk to him about the FBI because that's something I am interested in, I don't want to become a fire fighter because the idea of running into a burning building doesn't seem to smart to me and I don't want to be a police man because if I die serving my country I want it to be in a meaningful way, not getting shot by some kid high on pot who doesn't want to pay their speeding ticket. Don't get me wrong, I respect both those groups of people, it's just not for me.

Other than that I really have no idea, I'm going to talk to some career councilors at school to find other options, check out some job fairs, all this crap I thought I wouldn't have to hassle with.

I appreciate your words of support, I made this topic mostly as a short rant hoping it would help take some of the stress out of this, it hasn't. I have noticed, and the people around me as well, that I have become a rather grumpy and angry person lately, especially at work, and that's really not who I am. The fact that this has gotten to me so harshly doesn't help the situation, now I feel even more upset that this is making me so upset.

I know where you're coming from- I went from 98lb weakling to 120lb A-framed bodybuilder wanting to go to West Point, when I found out I had a congenital but benign heart defect that probably disqualifies me. It happens, man, you just always need a backup plan.

Well, my last job before I retired in December was Chief Recruiter for Navy Recruiting Region West. You are correct about the one year wait after you have been released from care. MEPS will still Permently disqualify you even after the year. It requires a service level medical waiver. For the Navy each medical waiver is accomplished by 00M department at Navy Recruiting headquarters in Millington, TN. I have seen countless people approved for this type of surgery. Screws by themselves are not disqualifying. I highly recommend you attempt the waiver (if the Navy is a good choice for you). Along with the waiver ensure they send up a synopsis of your activity level - if your a member of a gym it is good to have the manager write a letter about your exersize routine...that type of thing.

Good luck!

Have you considered college?

It is almost essential for the work force now. Also a degree in a law enforcement or law field will greatly help you in pursuit of the FBI.

Last edited:
Have you considered college?

It is almost essential for the work force now. Also a degree in a law enforcement or law field will greatly help you in pursuit of the FBI.

I'm entering my second year at South Dakota State University, I was/still am a member of the Army ROTC program there, but I obviously can't stay involved with that past my sophomore year now. The biggest thing is now I have to change and/or add a major. I was really happy that I could get a degree in History and still get a good job (if one would consider the Army a "job" that is) right out of college. Now my options are limited to research as history majors are being gobbled up for that field but I really don't want a desk job. I worked in a call center as season help once, the whole sitting around all day thing left me feeling like I wasn't actually doing anything, I need to be up and moving around. The other thing I am considering is landscaping, that is a job that could keep me outdoors (May-September at least) and moving, I've never worked landscaping before, but that's on my to do list now so I can experiment in that field.

The one good thing I can say about this is that now I know that I don't have to worry about shipping out next month, the last three summers now I thought I would be shipping out in June, with this happening I can at the very least plan ahead a little better.

Oh sorry I was under the impression you were not attending college stop feeding us false infromation in your info :p
Schools:I went to one college class once, snuck in.
Also about landscaping, I've actually done that. When you start out though its a pretty darn shitty job. Pulling up sod for 5+ hours isn't fun (at least for me) thought I figure with a college degree in it you'd be designing them or whatever. Best of luck

Oh yeah, my profile, edited that once and haven't touched it since, should probably see just what I have in there these days. But at the time I last edited it that had been correct, I even participated in the class discussion.

Back