My Military Career - Page 2

--

July 10th, 2007  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
There is something that is called a Beau-Med Waiver. If you get statements from your doctor and a few other doctors then go with that to the recruiter perhaps he/she can put in for a waiver for you. It is worht checking out at least.

That's what I was working on this last round, had statements from my doctor claiming that removing the screws would cause more damage than leaving them in, MEPS wouldn't give me the waiver though.

Alpha, I was trying to get into the reserves this last time around, well the National Guard actually, but it all goes through the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) which is where I am running into problems.

Thanks for the words of advice guys, I have a cousin who is some sort of regional director for the FBI in Cedar Rapids, IA. I want to get in touch with him and talk to him about the FBI because that's something I am interested in, I don't want to become a fire fighter because the idea of running into a burning building doesn't seem to smart to me and I don't want to be a police man because if I die serving my country I want it to be in a meaningful way, not getting shot by some kid high on pot who doesn't want to pay their speeding ticket. Don't get me wrong, I respect both those groups of people, it's just not for me.

Other than that I really have no idea, I'm going to talk to some career councilors at school to find other options, check out some job fairs, all this crap I thought I wouldn't have to hassle with.

I appreciate your words of support, I made this topic mostly as a short rant hoping it would help take some of the stress out of this, it hasn't. I have noticed, and the people around me as well, that I have become a rather grumpy and angry person lately, especially at work, and that's really not who I am. The fact that this has gotten to me so harshly doesn't help the situation, now I feel even more upset that this is making me so upset.
July 11th, 2007  
deerslayer

I know where you're coming from- I went from 98lb weakling to 120lb A-framed bodybuilder wanting to go to West Point, when I found out I had a congenital but benign heart defect that probably disqualifies me. It happens, man, you just always need a backup plan.
July 11th, 2007  
NavyCS

Well, my last job before I retired in December was Chief Recruiter for Navy Recruiting Region West. You are correct about the one year wait after you have been released from care. MEPS will still Permently disqualify you even after the year. It requires a service level medical waiver. For the Navy each medical waiver is accomplished by 00M department at Navy Recruiting headquarters in Millington, TN. I have seen countless people approved for this type of surgery. Screws by themselves are not disqualifying. I highly recommend you attempt the waiver (if the Navy is a good choice for you). Along with the waiver ensure they send up a synopsis of your activity level - if your a member of a gym it is good to have the manager write a letter about your exersize routine...that type of thing.

Good luck!
--
July 11th, 2007  
Rabs

Have you considered college?

It is almost essential for the work force now. Also a degree in a law enforcement or law field will greatly help you in pursuit of the FBI.
July 12th, 2007  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Have you considered college?

It is almost essential for the work force now. Also a degree in a law enforcement or law field will greatly help you in pursuit of the FBI.
I'm entering my second year at South Dakota State University, I was/still am a member of the Army ROTC program there, but I obviously can't stay involved with that past my sophomore year now. The biggest thing is now I have to change and/or add a major. I was really happy that I could get a degree in History and still get a good job (if one would consider the Army a "job" that is) right out of college. Now my options are limited to research as history majors are being gobbled up for that field but I really don't want a desk job. I worked in a call center as season help once, the whole sitting around all day thing left me feeling like I wasn't actually doing anything, I need to be up and moving around. The other thing I am considering is landscaping, that is a job that could keep me outdoors (May-September at least) and moving, I've never worked landscaping before, but that's on my to do list now so I can experiment in that field.

The one good thing I can say about this is that now I know that I don't have to worry about shipping out next month, the last three summers now I thought I would be shipping out in June, with this happening I can at the very least plan ahead a little better.
July 12th, 2007  
Rabs

Oh sorry I was under the impression you were not attending college stop feeding us false infromation in your info :P
Quote:
Schools:I went to one college class once, snuck in.
Also about landscaping, I've actually done that. When you start out though its a pretty darn shitty job. Pulling up sod for 5+ hours isn't fun (at least for me) thought I figure with a college degree in it you'd be designing them or whatever. Best of luck
July 13th, 2007  
Damien435

Oh yeah, my profile, edited that once and haven't touched it since, should probably see just what I have in there these days. But at the time I last edited it that had been correct, I even participated in the class discussion.