My M1 Carbine (Photo)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
000_0992.jpg

This is my older M1 Carbine. I gave my father the one I ordered form the CMP as a Father's Day gift. This one is an early war model. The only item on the carbine itself that is not right for the period is the safety. It should have a push button type instead of a lever style. I like the lever style for two reasons.

1. You cannt confuse it with the magazine release button (Same reason why they were all converted to lever style safeties after WWII)

2. With the push button style you cannot use the Korean/Vietnam Era M2 30rd magazines with it.

I think that the M1 Carbine is a great PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). All it needs is the M1A1 Folding Para-Trooper Stock to make it more compact.

The small puch holds two 15rd magazines. Plus a 30rd magazine means that you have a total of 60rds right there. With a magazine clamp you can have the rifle carry a total of two 30rd magazines and two 15rd magazines. That's a total of 90rds.

I can make it a total of 91rds because I always load a round into the chamber and top off the magazine to a full complement of 30/15rds.

The .30 Carbine cartridge itself is pretty powerful for close range work (100yrds-less) The military ammo is a FMJ (Full metal Jacet) 110 grain round cooper coated round. I use a 110gr SP (Soft Point) cooper coated round. That makes it one bad ass little cartridge.

The carbine is really light and handy. Make a great thing to keep for home defense and also for something behind the seat of the truck or in the trunk of a car (NEVER LEAVE YOUR FIREARMS IN YOUR VECHILE WHEN YOU'RE NOT IN IT!)

A friend of mine is a lawyer and has been looking for a new office (the building he's in has issues) and one of the options he was looking into was the upper floors of a large Bank One (now Chase). However, due to the bank, firearms are not allowed, and he has a concealed carry permit.

Nice Gub by the way. Just out of curiosity, how impossible is it to find a folding stock M1A1?

A friend of mine is a lawyer and has been looking for a new office (the building he's in has issues) and one of the options he was looking into was the upper floors of a large Bank One (now Chase). However, due to the bank, firearms are not allowed, and he has a concealed carry permit.

Nice Gub by the way. Just out of curiosity, how impossible is it to find a folding stock M1A1?

It's probably hard to find and EXPENSIVE. I saw it in the local gun show. That rifle's price is $1,200.

Nice Gun by the way. Just out of curiosity, how impossible is it to find a folding stock M1A1?

Original M1A1 Stocks are hard to come by... Only a few were made. Reproductions run for about $150 a pop. Give or take a couple of bucks depending on the vendor.

Folks also make modern day stocks with folding stocks and rail systems and all of that. I want to keep the carbine cherry. I've been thinking of turning it into a M1A1 with a repop stock but with the paratrooper stock, you cannot add an regular ammo pouch. You have to find a Rigger Pouch (Hand Made pouches by the Airborne Troops. Originals are impossible in terms of price and repops sucks.

So I'm more then likely going to keep it the way it is.

That'be a nice little target rifle. I don't know about keeping one as a PDW (too big/cumbersome), but to take to the range I'd get one.

Hey nice rifle, but isn´t it a M2 carbine due to the fact that is capable to shoot 30-round magazines? Or does it have to have selective fire to make a M1 into a M2???
Hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks for the answer.

Greetz Joker

M1 Carbine are semi-automatic
M2 Carbines are full-automatic

The magazine has nothing to do with it. After WWII, M1 carbines started being issued with 30rd magazine sjust as the M2 was.

OK, now I got it!!!
So you have a M1 semi automatic with a 30-round magazine!!!

Thanks Joker

How would you say the recoil feels, compared to say, a .45ACP Cx4 Storm?

I've been looking into buying one of these for a while, but I've never fired one yet and the closest thing I can think that I've fired is a Cx4 .45ACP.

I saw a lot of pretty nice carbines of this type at a local gun shop run by a Marine who served in the Pacific during WWII. He has a tattered Japanese flag with Marine signatures all over it.

The .30 Carbine is terms of recoil is little to nothing. It's one sweet shooting rifle. I'd say that the recoil is about the same as a .45 ACP out of a Beretta CX4 Storm.

Reasons is that the M1 Cabrine weighs a little more. But not by much. Get one while you can. They're going up in price.

By the way, I didn't know that you had a Beretta CX4 Storm.

It's not mine, my friend owns one along with a Remington 870 Express Magnum and a Savage .17HMR bolt-action. Lots of fun plinking with that, I nailed a Furby in a tree at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Back