My Lai Massacre - Page 3

--
Boots

April 8th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Topic: Don't try to be a historical revisionist .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
probably bunch of VC were killed by the US military and Leftists and Commies made it look like a Massacre.

Just look at Iraq today and you may understand how Leftists act in time of wars.

P80
Please don't try to be a historical revisionist ... the massacre at My Lai really happened ... at Calley's courts martial, there were 398 witnesses and over 20,000 pages of testimony. Various reports have stated that upwards of 500 elderly men, women and children were killed during the attack against the village by troops led by Lt Calley. Very few of the villagers survived the slaughter. No armed VietCong were ever found (nor) indications that they had ever been there. Nobody knows where the reported VC ended up.

Those of us that were in Vietnam will take exception to the kind of comments you made ... it wasn't the leftists or the commies that broke the story about the massacre at My Lai ...

Ronald Ridenhour
If not for the determined efforts of a twenty-two-year-old ex-GI from Phoenix, Ronald Ridenhour, what happened on March 16, 1968 at My Lai may never have come to the attention of the American people. Ridenhour served in a reconnaissance unit in Duc Pho, where he heard five eyewitness accounts of the My Lai massacre. He began his own investigation, traveling to Americal headquarters to confirm that Charlie Company had in fact been in My Lai on the date reported by his witnesses. Ridenhour was shocked by what he learned . When he was discharged in December, 1968, Ridenhour said "I wanted to get those people. I wanted to reveal what they did. My God, when I first came home, I would tell my friends about this and cry-literally cry." In March, 1969, Ridenhour composed a letter detailing what he had heard about the My Lai massacre and sent it to President Nixon, the Pentagon, the State Department, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and numerous members of Congress. Most recipients simply ignored the letter, but a few, most notably Representative Morris Udall, aggressively pushed for a full investigation of Ridenhour's allegations.

By late April, General Westmoreland, Army Chief of Staff, had turned the case over to the Inspector General for investigation. Over the next few months, dozens of witnesses were interviewed. It became apparent to all connected with the investigation that war crimes had been committed.

In June, 1969, William Calley was flown back from Viet Nam to appear in a line-up for identification by Hugh Thompson. By August, the matter was in the hands of the army's Criminal Investigation Division for a determination as to whether criminal charges should be filed against Calley and other massacre participants. On September 5, formal charges, included six specifications of premeditated murder, were filed against Calley.

THE REST (AS THEY SAY), IS HISTORY .......
April 8th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Phoenix, why would the US Military, during Vietnam, try to cover up something that the enemy did? Pretty sure if that was the case this would just be considered another of the atrocities committed by the VC during the Vietnam War.

Phoenix, just so you know, it's only a conspiracy or propoganda when there is only hearsay to back it up and a vast majority believe that it did not happen.
I didn't say it didn't happen but the circumstances around the alleged incident is suspicious. And I think those VCs died in that incident deserved it some how!
April 8th, 2006  
bulldogg

They weren't VC, they were unarmed South Vietnamese civilians.
--
Boots
April 8th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
PJ
You will note that I agreed with you 110% on this one.

It DID happen ... BUT ... part of the discussion MUST cover the 'politics' of the day that allowed members of the military to escape prosecution because of their 'high' status in military circles.

The SAME thing has already occurred with the War in Iraq ... (OR) ... what do you call the fact that NO high ranking member of the military has been held accountable for the events surrounding a certain prison where prisoners were supposed to have been tortured (do I really need to name the prison)???.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, but I wanted to keep the focus of my post where it was so that maybe this:
Quote:
probably bunch of VC were killed by the US military and Leftists and Commies made it look like a Massacre.

wouldn't come back up again. But, I think it was pretty much a lost cause from the start.

As for everything else, yup, you're right on. If you don't know it before you join the military, you learn quickly after that shit, does in fact, roll down hill.
April 8th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't happen but the circumstances around the alleged incident is suspicious. And I think those VCs died in that incident deserved it some how!
I SAID IT BEFORE ... BUT ... NOW I'LL SHOUT IT ...

STOP TRYING TO BE A HISTORICAL REVISIONIST ... THERE WAS NO CONSPIRACY SURROUNDING MY LAI ... THERE WERE NO VC FOUND IN THE VILLAGE BY CALLEY'S TROOPS (THE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS WERE WRONG - THE VC WERE ELSEWHERE AT THE TIME OF THE ATTACK), THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE WERE INNOCENT CIVILIANS SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER UNINFORMED REMARK. CALLEY'S TROOPS DIDN'T EVEN FIND ANY WEAPONS AS FAR AS I KNOW.

MY LAI HAPPENED JUST AS THE CALLEY COURTS MARTIAL LAID IT OUT. THERE WASN'T ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THE INCIDENT ... AS A MATTER OF FACT, THE ONLY SUSPICIOUS THING WAS THE ATTEMPTED COVER UP BY THOSE WHO COMMITTED THE ATROCITY. NOBODY HAS BEEN ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHY THEY THOUGHT THEY COULD GET AWAY WITH KILLING UNARMED CIVILIANS ... 'ORDERS' IS NO LONGER ACCEPTED AS A DEFENSE.
April 8th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
I SAID IT BEFORE ... BUT ... NOW I'LL SHOUT IT ...

STOP TRYING TO BE A HISTORICAL REVISIONIST ... THERE WAS NO CONSPIRACY SURROUNDING MY LAI ... THERE WERE NO VC FOUND IN THE VILLAGE BY CALLEY'S TROOPS (THE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS WERE WRONG - THE VC WERE ELSEWHERE AT THE TIME OF THE ATTACK), THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE WERE INNOCENT CIVILIANS SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER UNINFORMED REMARK. CALLEY'S TROOPS DIDN'T EVEN FIND ANY WEAPONS AS FAR AS I KNOW.

MY LAI HAPPENED JUST AS THE CALLEY COURTS MARTIAL LAID IT OUT. THERE WASN'T ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THE INCIDENT ... AS A MATTER OF FACT, THE ONLY SUSPICIOUS THING WAS THE ATTEMPTED COVER UP BY THOSE WHO COMMITTED THE ATROCITY. NOBODY HAS BEEN ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHY THEY THOUGHT THEY COULD GET AWAY WITH KILLING UNARMED CIVILIANS ... 'ORDERS' IS NO LONGER ACCEPTED AS A DEFENSE.
bunch of VCs and potential terrorists killed in a single incident and I don't care what commies/Anti American individuals say in defense of other commies/Anti-Americans.

And you better keep up with your anger management therapy
April 8th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
bunch of VCs and potential terrorists killed in a single incident and I don't care what commies/Anti American individuals say in defense of other commies/Anti-Americans.

Christ Almighty Phoenix, how hard is it for you to accept the fact that this weren't VC's or terrorists to be? Have you read any of the link offered? If that isn't enough I have a book with eyewitness reports from that platoon that did the shooting. How on earth do you call a mother with her child a legitimate target? And since when are Chief, Missileer and many others "commies/ Anti American individuals"?

Denying My Lai for what it was is more anti-Amercan then accepting it. It seems that you prefer denying it or down-talking it into something petty. Stop it please, because it isn't a pretty site!
April 8th, 2006  
chronoserpent

Quote:
My Lai probably did support some Viet Cong, but to slaughter women and children of the village was uncalled for.

It was a mistake, and yes, it did happen. Opinions about it can be twisted around but it is reality that it did happen.

I do not know why you are calling us commies and anti-americans. If I am correct, several of us here have served in the armed forces, such as Chief Bones. I am a Vietnamese-American, and will be applying to the Naval Academy next year.

History is not the fairy tale that we grew up with as kids. Every nation has a good side and a darker side, although some like the US have a much larger good side than bad side.

It's a fact. Please accept it.
April 8th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:

Yo, McCarthy, chill out.

April 8th, 2006  
tomtom22

Topic: It was real. It was a BIG mistake.

Quote:

Just look at Iraq today and you may understand how Leftists act in time of wars.

Did you look at any of the several sites I posted, phoenix80? I know that you think that the United States is a great country, but we do make mistakes, sometimes terrible ones. This (My Lai) is one of them. Accept it. It did happen. They were not "bunch of VC were killed by the US military and Leftists and Commies made it look like a Massacre", as you would like to think. It was real. It was a BIG mistake.