My Lai Massacre - Page 2

--
Boots

April 6th, 2006  
bulldogg

Just because something is disagreeable does not make it a lie Phoenix. And besides, when youre the biggest kid on the block everyone is always gunning for you.
April 7th, 2006  
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
(for those that don't know, padre visits are usually a good chance for a nap). .
Not at Kapooka, Junior
April 7th, 2006  
chronoserpent

What happened at My Lai is a fact, not "leftist propaganda".

The truth is, everyone makes mistakes and does dumb things that we later regret very deeply.

Of course, this "atrocity" is nothing compared to those of the Viet Cong, Khmer Rouge, Nazis, and the Soviet Union. But of course, no one cares if a bad guy is bad, they all want to see the good guy trip.
--
Boots
April 7th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Topic: History IS NOT rhetoric ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
Not one comment in this thread has shown even a hit of anti-Americanism, or even rhetoric.

Will you deny the facts? The My Lai incident did occur, want to know another massacre that happened at the hands of Americans during Vietnam? Read up on Son My.

Should we not discuss something because it may cast an unfavorable light on American history, despite the historical facts? Are we not allowed to discuss our bad decisions so that we never repeat them again?

The US is a great country, but we aren't above mistakes, esp when human *******s are involved. It's not anti-American to discuss the past or past events that may be negative.
March 16, 1968 ... My Lai was a massacre (and the subsequent cover up), that should have never happened ... the Courts Martial of Lt Calley did NOT go far enough up the food chain ... Westmoreland and the rest of the chain of command should have been named as co-defendants ... the decision to attack My Lai may have been Lt Calley's ... but ... the 'kill em all' philosophy came down the chain of command very clearly and very loudly (it had to have originated from Westmoreland's office ... you didn't take a crap without his permission at that time).

As far as Phoenix's comment ... I hate to tell you but it is NOT 'stupid anti-America rhetoric' to discuss a page out of military history that many people tried to sweep under the rug at the time it was reported. It sounds like you are still trying to do the same thing.

When Calley was tried, I hate to say it ... but ... for awhile it made me ashamed to admit that I was a Vietnam veteran ... NOT ANYMORE though ... there WERE enough mistakes made to go around ... and ... NOT all of them were military.
April 7th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
March 16, 1968 ... My Lai was a massacre (and the subsequent cover up), that should have never happened ... the Courts Martial of Lt Calley did NOT go far enough up the food chain ... Westmoreland and the rest of the chain of command should have been named as co-defendants ... the decision to attack My Lai may have been Lt Calley's ... but ... the 'kill em all' philosophy came down the chain of command very clearly and very loudly (it had to have originated from Westmoreland's office ... you didn't take a crap without his permission at that time).
We can discuss how it happened three ways from Sunday, however, my point, as clearly stated, was that it DID happen.
April 7th, 2006  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
When Calley was tried, I hate to say it ... but ... for awhile it made me ashamed to admit that I was a Vietnam veteran ... NOT ANYMORE though ... there WERE enough mistakes made to go around ... and ... NOT all of them were military.
IMO the biggest one would be a Texas school teacher trying to micro-manage a war from 10,000 miles away.
April 7th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
We can discuss how it happened three ways from Sunday, however, my point, as clearly stated, was that it DID happen.
PJ
You will note that I agreed with you 110% on this one.

It DID happen ... BUT ... part of the discussion MUST cover the 'politics' of the day that allowed members of the military to escape prosecution because of their 'high' status in military circles.

The SAME thing has already occurred with the War in Iraq ... (OR) ... what do you call the fact that NO high ranking member of the military has been held accountable for the events surrounding a certain prison where prisoners were supposed to have been tortured (do I really need to name the prison)???.
April 8th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoserpent
What happened at My Lai is a fact, not "leftist propaganda".

The truth is, everyone makes mistakes and does dumb things that we later regret very deeply.

Of course, this "atrocity" is nothing compared to those of the Viet Cong, Khmer Rouge, Nazis, and the Soviet Union. But of course, no one cares if a bad guy is bad, they all want to see the good guy trip.
probably bunch of VC were killed by the US military and Leftists and Commies made it look like a Massacre.

Just look at Iraq today and you may understand how Leftists act in time of wars.

April 8th, 2006  
Damien435

Phoenix, why would the US Military, during Vietnam, try to cover up something that the enemy did? Pretty sure if that was the case this would just be considered another of the atrocities committed by the VC during the Vietnam War.

Phoenix, just so you know, it's only a conspiracy or propoganda when there is only hearsay to back it up and a vast majority believe that it did not happen.
April 8th, 2006  
bulldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
probably bunch of VC were killed by the US military and Leftists and Commies made it look like a Massacre.

Just look at Iraq today and you may understand how Leftists act in time of wars.

No, it was a massacre. No one is infallible.