My hero.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
I was talking to Sword_Fish the other day, and this topic came out, so I thought I might want to share it on the boards.
I have very few heroes. I mean I have people I like, journalists, politicians, or friends. But as far as heroes, I cherish the men who sacrificed their lives for my freedom, I will never forget that, those are my heroes. I'm talking about US troops who liberated Europe, our intelligence men who protected us from the Communists for 50 years together with the above mentioned ally, those judges, cops and bodyguards who were killed by that mafia they were fighting.
But there is a man whom I truely regard to as a hero for myself.
That man was deceitfully killed by our current enemy on 2001, Sept 9.
His name was Ahmed Shah Massoud. He participated in the fight against the Soviets and then he stood out as the Taliban's worst enemy. He was head of the so called Northern Alliance. He was a man of courage, a great military commander and strategist, a wise and good hearted man who never oppressed his own people. He was also a friend of the West, but the West never seemed to detect his warning messages. He also delievered a famous speech to the Americans, which I copypaste below.
To me, he also represent a strong evidence of how we must never consider the idea of leaving those people alone in peril, and that they are not all the same downthere: There are men of courage, and they are good guys. Please take a look at these links:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Parliament/1358/

http://www.massoudhero.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Shah_Massoud

http://hometown.aol.com/mbeve10258/Massoud.html

His speech to the American people:

massoud_web.gif

I send this message to you today on behalf of the freedom and peace-loving people of Afghanistan, the Mujahedeen freedom fighters who resisted and defeated Soviet communism, the men and women who are still resisting oppression and foreign hegemony and, in the name of more than one and a half million Afghan martyrs who sacrificed their lives to uphold some of the same values and ideals shared by most Americans and Afghans alike. This is a crucial and unique moment in the history of Afghanistan and the world, a time when Afghanistan has crossed yet another threshold and is entering a new stage of struggle and resistance for its survival as a free nation and independent state.

I have spent the past 20 years, most of my youth and adult life, alongside my compatriots, at the service of the Afghan nation, fighting an uphill battle to preserve our freedom, independence, right to self-determination and dignity. Afghans fought for God and country, sometime alone, at other times with the support of the international community. Against all odds, we, meaning the free world and Afghans, halted and checkmated Soviet expansionism a decade ago. But the embattled people of my country did not savor the fruits of victory. Instead they were thrust in a whirlwind of foreign intrigue, deception, great-gamesmanship and internal strife. Our country and our noble people were brutalized, the victims of misplaced greed, hegemonic designs and ignorance. We Afghans erred too. Our shortcomings were as a result of political innocence, inexperience, vulnerability, victimization, bickering and inflated egos. But by no means does this justify what some of our so-called Cold War allies did to undermine this just victory and unleash their diabolical plans to destroy and subjugate Afghanistan.

Today, the world clearly sees and feels the results of such misguided and evil deeds. South-Central Asia is in turmoil, some countries on the brink of war. Illegal drug production, terrorist activities and planning are on the rise. Ethnic and religiously-motivated mass murders and forced displacements are taking place, and the most basic human and women’s rights are shamelessly violated. The country has gradually been occupied by fanatics, extremists, terrorists, mercenaries, drug Mafias and professional murderers. One faction, the Taliban, which by no means rightly represents Islam, Afghanistan or our centuries-old cultural heritage, has with direct foreign assistance exacerbated this explosive situation. They are unyielding and unwilling to talk or reach a compromise with any other Afghan side.

Unfortunately, this dark accomplishment could not have materialized without the direct support and involvement of influential governmental and non-governmental circles in Pakistan. Aside from receiving military logistics, fuel and arms from Pakistan, our intelligence reports indicate that more than 28,000 Pakistani citizens, including paramilitary personnel and military advisers are part of the Taliban occupation forces in various parts of Afghanistan. We currently hold more than 500 Pakistani citizens including military personnel in our POW camps. Three major concerns - namely terrorism, drugs and human rights - originate from Taliban-held areas but are instigated from Pakistan, thus forming the inter-connecting angles of an evil triangle. For many Afghans, regardless of ethnicity or religion, Afghanistan, for the second time in one decade, is once again an occupied country.

Let me correct a few fallacies that are propagated by Taliban backers and their lobbies around the world. This situation over the short and long-run, even in case of total control by the Taliban, will not be to anyone’s interest. It will not result in stability, peace and prosperity in the region. The people of Afghanistan will not accept such a repressive regime. Regional countries will never feel secure and safe. Resistance will not end in Afghanistan, but will take on a new national dimension, encompassing all Afghan ethnic and social strata.

The goal is clear. Afghans want to regain their right to self-determination through a democratic or traditional mechanism acceptable to our people. No one group, faction or individual has the right to dictate or impose its will by force or proxy on others. But first, the obstacles have to be overcome, the war has to end, just peace established and a transitional administration set up to move us toward a representative government.

We are willing to move toward this noble goal. We consider this as part of our duty to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism. But the international community and the democracies of the world should not waste any valuable time, and instead play their critical role to assist in any way possible the valiant people of Afghanistan overcome the obstacles that exist on the path to freedom, peace, stability and prosperity.

Effective pressure should be exerted on those countries who stand against the aspirations of the people of Afghanistan. I urge you to engage in constructive and substantive discussions with our representatives and all Afghans who can and want to be part of a broad consensus for peace and freedom for Afghanistan.

With all due respect and my best wishes for the government and people of the United States,

Ahmad Shah Massoud.

So what do you think about him? He of course never enjoyed much media coverage either in life or death. Who are your heroes?

A Philosopher, fighter, and most of all a gentleman - the very essence of goodness. That man's death was a tragedy for the world i think. However my hero is much simpler than that.

My grandfather fought as a combat engineer against the Japanese and the Germans, and had several kills to his name. 20 years after the war an ex-Austrian submarine commander moved in next door to him. The man was a Nazi, and actually an Austrian Baron (Baron von Somsich Schmidt) and my Pop never once scorned him. They never fought thewir own little picket fence war, they just got along. Pop became a man of peace i guess. Then one day he was getting on the train, said hello to the train guard the same way he had for 25 years, and thirty seconds later he was dead of a heart attack.

Pop was a big tough man who gave people seconds chances and believed in basic humanity, no matter who the person was.

Oh, and any man who manages to sleep with Elizabeth Hurley... :p

Rich.

ozmilman said:
A Philosopher, fighter, and most of all a gentleman - the very essence of goodness. That man's death was a tragedy for the world i think. However my hero is much simpler than that.

My grandfather fought as a combat engineer against the Japanese and the Germans, and had several kills to his name. 20 years after the war an ex-Austrian submarine commander moved in next door to him. The man was a Nazi, and actually an Austrian Baron (Baron von Somsich Schmidt) and my Pop never once scorned him. They never fought thewir own little picket fence war, they just got along. Pop became a man of peace i guess. Then one day he was getting on the train, said hello to the train guard the same way he had for 25 years, and thirty seconds later he was dead of a heart attack.

Pop was a big tough man who gave people seconds chances and believed in basic humanity, no matter who the person was.

Oh, and any man who manages to sleep with Elizabeth Hurley... :p

Rich.

Great to hear one's hero is actually his father. I guess you realize a lot of things when someone is gone.

I myselfave ever few real heroes. My father being one and the Mog Ranger's, and all the men who do the dirty jobs no one hears about.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him my hero, but a man I admire is my new boss, VADM Richard Carmona, USPHS, the Surgeon General of the United States.

Bio here.

Among other things:
- decorated Special Forces medic (I think that was his MOS in Vietnam)
- trauma surgeon
- SWAT officer

Back