My future

FO Seaman

Currently I am in the CAP/USAFAUX. I'm told that if you complete your Mitchel you get E-3 upon enlisting.

Ok here we go,

After graduating join the Guard, hopfully I can go 92Y then go 45B.
Use the FTA and G.I. Bill to go to college and get my Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Six years to get the FTA, Three as a 92Y then go the other three as a 45B.

A few months after graduating, apply for OCS. I'm going to stay 45B.

In my civilian life after getting my degree I'm going to the Kentucky State Police Academy.

After graduating from KSPA, I'll be a uniform for a few years then go for SWAT. (While being a uniform, I'm going to take as many armorer and weapons classes as possible.)

My only problem is my Asthma.

As we all know, no plan goes as planned so.........I'll do my best.

Ok, does this plan sound plausible or should I choose another career path?

If your going to college pick another Major. Crim Justice degrees do not make that much of a difference for agencies that require degrees. Don't know if KSP does or not.

Computer, Languages, Pysch, business type degrees all are good as are Teaching degrees plus you have something to fall back on. Especially if you ever aspire to investigative work.

As far as the SWAT aspect I do know that Ky State SWAT is a hard core bunch of Troopers. Their standards are high and their training is tough. The Ky State Police have a rep in Law Enforcement as very Professional and no nonsense. Best of luck.

i admire you for having your future plotted out, im still in high school and i have all these aspirations. i want to go marine after high school, *try* to become a scout/sniper, and after serving become a police sharpshooter. but i know all of this takes alot of hard work, but i am willing to do what ever it takes.

not doubting your sincerity or enthusiasm, and good on you for having it mapped out, but there is a big difference betweensaying "i will do whatever it takes" and actually doing it. the reason they are special forces (SWAT in this case) is because their standards are so high and they let so few people in.

that said, with the right training and detirmination, you can do anything

A sniper or police sharp shooter isn't always based on "practice makes perfect". They are natural shooters. It's a combination of physical and mental factors that cannot be trained into someone. You can be a good shooter, but no matter how much you train you'll never become a "marksman" unless you are naturally predisposed to it.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Form what I understand Criminal Justice helps somewhat. If you have anymore advice, please fire away.

Cadet Seaman said:

Form what I understand Criminal Justice helps somewhat. If you have anymore advice, please fire away.

A CJ degree is okay. I've got a CJ degree. The thing about a CJ is it limits you as to what you can do with it. Your basicly limited to LE as a career, which is why I've done post grad work in another field. The thing to remember is this. Eventually you will leave LE ethier to go into a different field or to retire. A degree in another field gives you more options.

A degree in another field also gives greater options during your career.
Let me give you some examples.

Computer-Internet based crimes, a big big field right now everything from fraud to counter terrorism to Sex Offenders.

Business- Money laundering, off shore tracking, Fraud, CT etc.

Languages- Translation, Intelligence, Gang Units, Organized Crime Units

Psychology- Interrogations, Hostage Negotiations, Profiling.

Education- School Resource, Instructor, Community Policing

Science- Forensics,

I also sit on my Dept's hiring board and in reality for an entry level Patrolman a degree is a degree whether it's CJ or not.

03USMC said:
Cadet Seaman said:

A CJ degree is okay. I've got a CJ degree. The thing about a CJ is it limits you as to what you can do with it. Your basicly limited to LE as a career, which is why I've done post grad work in another field. The thing to remember is this. Eventually you will leave LE ethier to go into a different field or to retire. A degree in another field gives you more options.

A degree in another field also gives greater options during your career.
Let me give you some examples.

Computer-Internet based crimes, a big big field right now everything from fraud to counter terrorism to Sex Offenders.

Business- Money laundering, off shore tracking, Fraud, CT etc.

Languages- Translation, Intelligence, Gang Units, Organized Crime Units

Psychology- Interrogations, Hostage Negotiations, Profiling.

Education- School Resource, Instructor, Community Policing

Science- Forensics,

I also sit on my Dept's hiring board and in reality for an entry level Patrolman a degree is a degree whether it's CJ or not.

Thanks 03USMC, this really gives me a broader view on it.

Back