My computer!!

philam15

well I've had my computer for a couple years now, and its done ok I guess, my Uncle put it together for me, and I've always had problems.

First my wireless internet wasn't working becuase I couldn't get a signal from downstairs, but that's ok because I just use the neighbors signal, I figure they don't mind ;-)

But that's not the problem, I think my computer has a virus or SOMETHING!! because my computer crashed, COMPLETELY a week ago, and would just restart itself over and over, but wouldn't go to the actual screen with all the icons...so I got a windowns XP disc out and it just installed a lot of stuff, and I restarted it from there and my screen finally loaded without restarting.

But my computer is goofed up, because if I go to the screen that loads everything, I can't boot my computer up in safe mood, I go to the BBS popup or whater and it says

Boot from: CD, Floppy, or something else, I've forgotten what it said.

So a lot of times ie will just go off, when Im on it, and it freezes up a lot. When I go to disc cleanup, it doesn't do anything, it won't work.

and when I go to internet options, and then click 'delete files' my ie window freezes!!

Im positively tired of popups, and my computer working slower, my ie freezing, and closing itself all the time, so if someone could recommend anything to help me I would be happy.

BTW, I have zonealarm installed in my computer, just the free version, and it does pretty well, but it doesn't block that many popups

computers are like cars. (transportation)

People these days in modern places dont ride horses. So when I felt that I was riding an old horse, I went and got me a decent car. :type:

hmm I've actually thought about that seeing as my computer is three feet away from my window, either that or my softball bat...

But yeah I dont think that my dad would take that so well!! :shoothea:

I think I'm gonna have to re-format the hardrive like Rabs said *sigh*

but seriously, who has actually chucked their computer out their window come on!!

I'm always wary about new operating systems. Regardless of what MicroSoft say, they tend to be buggy and short on drivers for many peripherals. Two weeks ago I set up a new computer running Vista, for some pensioners. It all went well until I loaded the printer... no driver. The manufacturer has since provided one.

Wait two years and get the upgraded version. If everybody did that, MS might take a little more time to get it right before they release new systems to the public in future instead of using the public to do their beta testing for them.

allow or cancel is a bit annoying, but I got a new computer to go with it, which helps.

And there's the fact that a couple of games (i.e. Call of Duty) don't work at all. But that's only minor annoyance.

well I've had my computer for a couple years now, and its done ok I guess, my Uncle put it together for me, and I've always had problems.

First my wireless internet wasn't working becuase I couldn't get a signal from downstairs, but that's ok because I just use the neighbors signal, I figure they don't mind ;-)

But that's not the problem, I think my computer has a virus or SOMETHING!! because my computer crashed, COMPLETELY a week ago, and would just restart itself over and over, but wouldn't go to the actual screen with all the icons...so I got a windowns XP disc out and it just installed a lot of stuff, and I restarted it from there and my screen finally loaded without restarting.

But my computer is goofed up, because if I go to the screen that loads everything, I can't boot my computer up in safe mood, I go to the BBS popup or whater and it says

Boot from: CD, Floppy, or something else, I've forgotten what it said.

So a lot of times ie will just go off, when Im on it, and it freezes up a lot. When I go to disc cleanup, it doesn't do anything, it won't work.

and when I go to internet options, and then click 'delete files' my ie window freezes!!

Im positively tired of popups, and my computer working slower, my ie freezing, and closing itself all the time, so if someone could recommend anything to help me I would be happy.

BTW, I have zonealarm installed in my computer, just the free version, and it does pretty well, but it doesn't block that many popups

if you kept your install disc just format it and re install MS. if you didn't now would be a great time to switch to ubuntu!!

http://www.ubuntu.org/

Philem

You have a couple of choices.

The best and easiest is as Rabs said. Go to Safe Mode backup your data to a USB key and then reformat and reinstall.

Windows is a terriblely inefficient OS, which means its really needs to a good reinstall every year or so to work to specification. I do it twice a year.

Let me know if that solution doesnt suit you and we can run by other solutions.

That's just it, my computer won't go into safe mode...

This is what it says when I select the BBS pop-up:

Please Select Boot Device

1st FLOPPY DRIVE
CDROM: PM-LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-169
HDD: 3M-WDC WD1600JS-22MHB0

Last edited:
take a pair of pliers and rip your floppy drive out.

not really, I've never messed up my computer that bad before... or had mine get that old.

Back