My collection WWII

JT1959

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my collection, which mainly consists of medals and awards from the period 1933 to 1945. Hope you come with inputs, if any of the objects appear to be copies (will only have original objects in my collection). Began the collection in spring 2009 and have been quite active during this period.

Have so far not seen so many pictures from other medal collections here at the forum, but they are certainly out there.

Hope you like the pictures that comes and really appreciate comments / questions you have :rolleyes:

The images you have posted so far look good, I am surprised at the condition of the badges.

I start with some badges:
Demjansk Schild / Demjansk Badge
Awarded 1943 unmarked

Attachments

• 037 Demjansk Badge.jpg
    037 Demjansk Badge.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 12
  • 037 xxx.jpg
    037 xxx.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 037 xxxx.jpg
    037 xxxx.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 037 x.jpg
    037 x.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Krim Schild / Krim Badge
Awarded 1942 / unmarked

Attachments

• 038 Krim Shield.jpg
    038 Krim Shield.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5
  • 038 x.jpg
    038 x.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 038 xx.jpg
    038 xx.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1
Kuban Schild / Kuban Badge
Awarded 1943 / unmarked

Attachments

• 039 Kuban Badge..jpg
    039 Kuban Badge..jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 039 x.jpg
    039 x.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2
Narvik Schild / Narvik Badge
Awarded 1940 / unmarked Deumer

Attachments

• 036 Narvik shield Heer Deumer.jpg
    036 Narvik shield Heer Deumer.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3
  • 036 x.jpg
    036 x.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 036 xxx.jpg
    036 xxx.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 036 xx.jpg
    036 xx.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1
  • 036 xxxx.jpg
    036 xxxx.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
Narvik Schild / Narvik Badge (for Kriegsmarine)
Awarded 1940 / unmarked Deumer

Attachments

• 035 Narvik Badge KM.jpg
    035 Narvik Badge KM.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 035 xxxx.jpg
    035 xxxx.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1
  • 035 xx.jpg
    035 xx.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2
Demjansk Schild / Demjansk Badge
Awarded 1943 / unmarked, but another producer than the first in this tread.

Attachments

• 056 Demjansk Badge.jpg
    056 Demjansk Badge.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3
  • 056 x.jpg
    056 x.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 056 xx.jpg
    056 xx.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2
I regret to say this, but I am quite sure that they are reproductions presumably from Pakistan.

Recognizing fakes can be a tricky thing. This might help you when trying to determine if an item is authentic.

A black light can be used to determine if cloth-related items are authentic ot reproductions. During the war, the cotton used was not trated at the factories in the same way that it is now. The test is conducted by placing the item under a black light. If it shines it is a newer item. WWII era items will not shine. To see what "shining" means, take a black T-shirt and place it under a black light. The reflection produced is almost blinding.

This is a more extreme test. It helps identify the authenticity of cloth items. The test consists of taking a thread from the item. Burn it with a match. The old thread will burn out instantly, almost in a flash. The new material will burn slower. This is because the newer cloth is fire resistant.

This test works with German badges. Take the badge in your hands, without applying much force (and for a short time) try to bend it. If it does, the badge is fake. Real badges are quite strong and will not bend with light pressure. Remember that soldiers wore these items in battle. They need to be strong.

Last edited:
Thank you bouth for comments :smile:

Der Alte:
Please tell us why you think they are reproductions ?

Regards
JT

............................................................................................
Next:
Nahkampfspange in Bronze / Army Close Combat Claps in Bronze
Awarded 1942 / mm F&B L

Attachments

• 033 Army Close Combat Claps Bronze F&B.L..jpg
    033 Army Close Combat Claps Bronze F&B.L..jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 033 xxx.jpg
    033 xxx.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 033 xx.jpg
    033 xx.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 033 xxxx.jpg
    033 xxxx.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 6
Nahkampfspange in Silber / Army Close Combat Claps in Silver
Awarded 1942 / mm F&B L

Attachments

• 054 Army Close Combat Claps Silver F&BL.jpg
    054 Army Close Combat Claps Silver F&BL.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 054 c.jpg
    054 c.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 054 d.jpg
    054 d.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 054 b.jpg
    054 b.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 6

Der Alte:

Regards
JT

............................................................................................
Next:
Nahkampfspange in Bronze / Army Close Combat Claps in Bronze
Awarded 1942 / mm F&B L

My major concern would be the condition they are in for every day wear badges they do not appear scuffed or marked in any way the only explaination I could see for this is that they were either:
A) Never issued which I imagine is a distinct possibility.
B) Are reproductions.

Either way it is a nice collection and well presented.

Der Alte:

Regards
JT
For something which is almost 70 years old and has been used on a uniform they look too be in too good a shape. It simply lacks patina, in my opinion.

Let us take a look at the Nahkampfspange.
The badge was die-cast and made of only Zinc, depending on the manufacturer the clasp is straight or slightly curved.
The badge was usually lacquered with a composition called "Brennlack," which was a powdered metal. When oven heated the paint was burned, leaving a metallic type coating that will flake off with time.

The decoration was designed by the military artist Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus and on the reverse left side of all CCC you will find stamped "FEC" meaning from the Latin "Fecit" (made by) followed by "W.E. Peekhaus" and Berlin. On the right side the manufacturer's logo or name.

edit_preview.php
Here is an original in gold. See how worn it is.

edit_preview.php

FFL is manufacturer's name. Friedrich Linden, Luedenscheid.

edit_preview.php

Above you will see three different class of early issued Close Combat Clasp.
The Bronze CCC has a two-toned "Brenlack" finish and is made by "C.E. Juncker in Berlin."
The Silver CCC is made of high quality silver plating and is also made by "C.E. Juncker in Berlin." The Juncker silver clasps normally have
the black square centerpiece, which gives it's appealing look.
The Gold CCC has gold wash finish, which is much thinner then Brennlack coating. Unfortunately the zinc absorbes the finish nevertheless a rare piece. The CCC is made by "Friedrich Liden in Luedenscheid."

May I ask how old you are.

My major concern would be the condition they are in for every day wear badges they do not appear scuffed or marked in any way the only explaination I could see for this is that they were either:
A) Never issued which I imagine is a distinct possibility.
B) Are reproductions.

Thank you for your explanation of why you think These are copies.
Your statement is that they appear to be unused and in too good quality and therefore copies!

I choose to trust you and to avoid that other collectors are fooled by these copies, I have now destroyed them! (They were impossible to bend, but they broke).

Regards from Norway
(born in 1959)

Umm personally I would not have destroyed them so quickly even if they were reproductions, I would probably have kept them as place holders as you can always label them as such until you can find the real thing.

Even replica's have place as even those people who responded to this thread enjoyed the pictures and that encourages them to look into the pass time of collecting which in turns improves knowledge.

Thank you MontyB

Copy / counterfeiting is not acceptable (for me personally), so better that they be destroyed :sorry:

I also have several other objects in the collection in mint quality. Hope you can give me an evaluation of these also :sick:

Spanienkreuz in Gold mit Schwerten / Spanish Cross in Gold with swords (Meybauer) only 1.126 pce awarded.
Ritterkreuz des Kriegsverdienstkreuz mit Schwertern / Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross with Swords (mm 1 Deschler) only 211 pce awarded.
Deutscher Adlerorden 2. class / Order of the German Eagle 2. class (mm 900/2 Godet Berlin).
Bandenkampfabzeichen in Bronze / Antipartisan Badge in Bronze (Juncker Buntmetall).
Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes / Knights Cross of the Iron Cross (Steinhauer & Lück type A Micro 800).

Since these are also in mint quality, I would expect you judge these as copies too ? Looking forward to a confirmation before I destroy them :crybaby:

Regards from Norway

Attachments

• 006 x.jpg
    006 x.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 7
  • 003 xxx.jpg
    003 xxx.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 8
  • 002 a.jpg
    002 a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 6
  • 058 Anti-Partisan Badge.jpg
    058 Anti-Partisan Badge.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 001 d.jpg
    001 d.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6
How much did you pay for your Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes ?
An original cost 6,000 to 8,000 euros.

Back