My, Basic is this comming June, I have a question.

randifur

Not trying to sound cocky or ignorant but, what is the merit system for Basic Training what do the Instructors judge you on and I want this to be my life career, so I want to do my best.
Also what ranks if any can be attained during basic?

Oh yeah, Hi, i'm new, first post.:sniper:

There really is no established merit system on BMQ. Just do your job, keep an open mind (and ear), listen to what your instructors have to say and be as much of a team player as you can. With all those covered, you should do fine.

I'm AFSteliga.

Oh, and to answer your other question about ranks:

There's only one rank you'll attain during BMQ, and that is Private (Recruit), or Pte(R). However, you could be appointed to one of a few positions during your time there. Such as Course Senior, Course 2/IC, Section Leader, Section 2/IC, etc...

Last edited:
:sniper:

I heard if you do well in basic you can attain Sergent, once you graduate?
I guess I was misinformed.:drill:

Someone definitely lied to you. You'll be long past the bulk of your training (BMQ, Soldier Qualification, and Basic Infantry Qualification plus associated training) before you even see your first chevron. Officially, you need to have 30 months of service before receiving said chevron.

By the time you hit Sergeant, you should have around 8-9 years in service. Could be earlier or later depending on how well you do during those years.

Just to give you a heads up though...standard rank progression goes something like this:

Pte(Recruit) - Day 1 to the end of BMQ
Pte(Basic) - End of BMQ to around 2.5 years of service + trade specific qualifications
Pte(Trained) - 2.5 years to around 4 years of service (only here do you get your chevron)
Cpl - After 4 years of service + advanced trade qualifications (normally)

Further promotions are merit based.

I hope this answers any questions you might have. If not, I'll be happy to help you out.

Last edited:
I heard if you do well in basic you can attain Sergent, once you graduate?

You got bum drummed. Do you really think after 3 months in the army they're going to put you in charge of 30 people?

Hahaha. Nope. And there's no such thing as a 5 leaf (Canada uses maple leaves to denote Generals as opposed to stars) General in Canada.

Kid, do a search..
Read up on the subject and then come back and ask informed questions.

This entire thread looks like you want other people doing your work for you.
Not a sheet hot way to make a first impression to the people who have done what you want to do if you know what I mean..

Just sayin´..

What branch are you going to? What trade?
You do not do very much soldiering in BMQ, here and there. A lot of drill, a lot of nitpicky things (a little hair in your razor, haha you are going to get it).

Source: Several buddies who went through BMQ.

St.Pats out west:m16shoot:, one of my buddies who is an MP in the Forces told me that I might be airbourne?

EDIT: Trade; Infantry!

Last edited:
St.Pats out west:m16shoot:, one of my buddies who is an MP in the Forces told me that I might be airbourne?

EDIT: Trade; Infantry!

St Pats? You mean the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry? If so...NEVER call it 'St Pats'. I can guarantee that you'll have your head torn off by serving members of the regiment.

With respect to going Airborne, that's only one company within the entire Regiment (which is in 3rd Battalion). After your initial training, you can request to do your Parachute course and might be posted to the Jump Company.

And I have to agree with KJ. Do a more thorough search on this subject. While I'm happy to answer any of your questions, it seems like you've done very little homework for yourself.

Back