My aunt

RusCan2013

Thought I'd post about this, just to rant and vent, if nothing else :sorry:

I have this aunt back in Russia, Aunt Natalia. Well, she isn't exactly my aunt, since that would make her my mom's sister, whereas she is, in fact, her cousin. But, she has always been like an aunt to me, babysat me when I was little, I recall. Always been close to our family, so I call her "aunt".

Anyway, she had to have eye surgery recently. Now, this is Moscow, not some provincial shithole, keep in mind. Her initial surgery went alright, and, as is the custom in Russia, she wanted to "thank" her doctor, with a gift. The thing is, normally, the "gift" would be either an envelope full of cash, or, at least, some nice alcohol in a bottle (or two, two is better; and three is even more so :D). But my dear aunt, an eccentric woman that she is, figured, well, he'll just drink the booze, and spend the money, and then he'll forget all about me. I should give him something unique instead and something that will last a long time.

She did. She brought him two enormous ceramic roosters, not sure where she even got them from. But, here is the thing, my aunt perhaps didn't realize, being from a very sheltered, intelligentsia-type upbringing, but the term "rooster", petukh, in Russian prison slang, is the jail *****, usually - a former rapist, molester, or such subhuman scum, who becomes the sexual slave to other prisoners once enters the prison colony. No longer a man, or even a human being, just property, which can be traded between cells or gangs for cigarettes, alcohol, narcotics, weapons, etc, has no more value than those non-human objects. It is a great insult to call a man a rooster over there, and given that, by low estimates, one third and by high - as much as half, of all adult men in Russia have been to prison, and the popularization, through music, TV, and film, of the prison culture among the population, most know this. Our fine doctor was no exception. He assumed that was exactly what her gift implied. Supposedly, some other doctors at the hospital made fun of him over the roosters too. So now, Aunt Natalia is having complications from the surgery, she cannot see with that eye, her retina is literally coming off... and her doctor has decided to go on vacation. He is openly withholding treatment on her, because he doesn't like her anymore, because she called him a petukh, or at least, so he thinks.

And, in Russia, she has basically no recourse, there is no College of Physicians or such to take action against him. She tried to complain to the healthy ministry, but they said it's a private clinic, not under their authority. Now, she can go to police, but

A. she'd have to pay them a bribe too, to do anything
and
B. the doctor can just say it is his medical opinion she doesn't need treatment and the police will then have to find another doctor who would dispute this assertion, which won't be easy, even if she bribes them into doing the work: doctors there are a "thin white line", so to speak, reluctant to speak against their brothers in the white coat, they tend to look out for each other.

Meanwhile, she could go blind in that eye, if this continues any longer...

By the way, I've realized people would ask the (reasonable) question: why can't she just go to another doctor? Well, because, once again, it's ****ing Russia. All her medical information, charts, x-rays, reports, forms, prescriptions, etc, none of it is computerized, it's all ina dossier, on good old paper, on a shelf
kart3.jpg

The Health Ministry has tried to work with clinics to set up an electronic system, starting November 2012, and then they had a computer glitch and thousands of people had all their medical data deleted, and so everyone just said, **** it, and went back to paper, for the foreseeable future.

And now, he's got her whole file locked away in his safe, while he is gone on his vacation, nobody has access to it, so noone else can treat her.

So the moral of the story is:
A) Never over think your gifts.
B) Never make the final payment before you are completely satisfied with the job done.

Outside that how about just bribing someone to go and have a "quiet" chat with the doctor?

If the body isn't found until after the winter thaw then surely they will have to find another doctor to do the work.
:)

So the moral of the story is:
A) Never over think your gifts.
B) Never make the final payment before you are completely satisfied with the job done.

Outside that how about just bribing someone to go and have a "quiet" chat with the doctor?

If the body isn't found until after the winter thaw then surely they will have to find another doctor to do the work.
:)

Well, trouble is, to hire such people, you'd have to know such people, or, at least, know where to find or how to get in touch, with them. My aunt does not. Neither do we. Well, I suppose if we count in certain school friends of mine from back in Ulyanovsk, some of whom have been through prison now, and probably wouldn't object too much to ****ing a guy up, especially if I paid them. :D But, my parents wouldn't have that. Very law-abiding, honest folks they are, too much so for Russia, probably why we all left that country...

My suggestion would be to avoid the doctor all together as that bridge is burnt (even if you could convince him that it wasn't a slur who wants a doctor that unstable operating on loved ones) but to do what ever it takes to get her documents so she can see another doctor.

My suggestion would be to avoid the doctor all together as that bridge is burnt (even if you could convince him that it wasn't a slur who wants a doctor that unstable operating on loved ones) but to do what ever it takes to get her documents so she can see another doctor.

Well, there is some good news to that: as it turns out, my aunt's neighbor and, unbeknownst to me, very good friend, going all the way back to high school apparently, is a police general, commander of all of Moscow's DPS (Road Patrol Service, traffic police), this guy, Aleksadr Ilyin
1366029795_0423.1000x800.jpeg

I believe, though that is just a hunch, they were romantically involved in the past, maybe still are on some level lol

His guys are everywhere there
%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9-%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C_2.jpg

Now, he, it seems, promised Aunt Natalia, his people will pull over the good doctor at every intersection, no street will be safe for him, he won't be able to drive through the city without being stopped and won't be able to park either, without getting a fine; until he breaks and either treats her or gives her documents back. lmao I think I may have underestimated my auntie there, as have the good doctor. She's got some powerful friends too :D

I was stationed in S. Korea for 3 years back in the 70's. Government operated on bribes and kickbacks etc. I met my wife there and after a year of submitting paperwork to different departments and paying a fee each time, everything came to a halt in this one office. Goofy little bureaucrat couldn't find our paperwork, hand out for a bribe. Unfortunately for him, my wife's dad was best friends with the Seoul chief of police. She calls him, within 5 minutes, in strolls the chief and about a dozen cops. Guber drops his glasses, bows about 10 times to the chief and immediately finds our paperwork. Wait till Obama Care takes effect, you'll see lots of this!

Back