Muslims at Target wont handle pork

Donkey

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17665989/

Ok sure you can do what you want I don't care that they object to handling pork, however I have two issues with this.

One they chose to work there in the first place, don't like it find another job.

Two wouldn't working for Target and knowing they sell pork go against their religion as well (they way it seems to be stated), I mean if you wont touch it to ring it up because it goes against your beliefs than would not the participation in the sale be just as bad and therefore working for a place that sold it also be as bad?

I just done see their logic....

Please before you throw in your two cents read the linked article, I will not simply copy paste the article due to copyright infringement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17665989/

Ok sure you can do what you want I don't care that they object to handling pork, however I have two issues with this.

One they chose to work there in the first place, don't like it find another job..

Exactly what I thought when I heard it. I doubt that Amish would work in a liquor store either but it doesn't make headlines. It's just more of the "praying imams" tactics, they got themselves kicked off an airplane for mimicking hijackers when they boarded. Now, they're suing the airline, crew, and all the passengers their lawyers can find.

Don't like it, get another job.

NYPD had an issue with a Sikh years ago, he felt despite uniform regulations he should be exempt because of his religious beliefs when it came to wearing a turban. In the end, the city bent and let him wear it, now I think there are a few wandering around. Pretty sad when working specific jobs become a "right" as opposed to a privilege.

Don't like it, get another job.

NYPD had an issue with a Sikh years ago, he felt despite uniform regulations he should be exempt because of his religious beliefs when it came to wearing a turban. In the end, the city bent and let him wear it, now I think there are a few wandering around. Pretty sad when working specific jobs become a "right" as opposed to a privilege.

I see the Sikh issue as less of a problem as his hat really doesn't prevent him performing his duties to there fullest however I agree with the sentiment that if you cannot or will not carry part of a job then get another job. Basically its like becoming and undertaker and refusing to work with the dead.

Yikes... this is getting bad every where. First they dont give ride to alcohol carrying passengers and now this. Whats next?

I think you all missed the huge contradiction of all this.

The Koran only forbids the EATING of pork, it says nothing about handling it. I have a Muslim friend whose daughter has a baby pig (as a pet).

Well they request Halal moose in Norway, I yet have to see that done in practice.

They do not die of eating pork - I mean, a sports pub in Oslo sold hamburgers to muslims some time ago where one of the ingredients was pork, it was some rumble about for a while, but no one died. So it is safe to eat pork, safe to handle pork, and if they don't like what they're doing for a living they are free to quit and find another job, or leave to their country of origin if they're unhappy in general about the pork.

Not that it needs re-stating, but if they signed the application, it meant that they were willing to do what Target requested them to do. If they weren't willing to handle it, either put them in a different department, or find a new job entirely.

Well they request Halal moose in Norway, I yet have to see that done in practice.

They do not die of eating pork - I mean, a sports pub in Oslo sold hamburgers to muslims some time ago where one of the ingredients was pork, it was some rumble about for a while, but no one died. So it is safe to eat pork, safe to handle pork, and if they don't like what they're doing for a living they are free to quit and find another job, or leave to their country of origin if they're unhappy in general about the pork.

Not that this may be the case the sad thing is though they could be people that have jumped on a religious bandwagon....

It's funny I run into people advocating Islam (or any religion) on how it is a great religion and one tends to know more about it then they do. They argue you show them where they are wrong and then they just go on with their holy whatever....People are funny I tell ya...

Last edited:
They're fitting into the American way... a sense of entitlement... the world owes them a Cadillac, a huge flat screen tv and a job where they make the rules. And they'll sue you if you hold them to the fire.

They're fitting into the American way... a sense of entitlement... the world owes them a Cadillac, a huge flat screen tv and a job where they make the rules. And they'll sue you if you hold them to the fire.

Ah, the American dream!

Not that this may be the case the sad thing is though they could be people that have jumped on a religious bandwagon....

It's funny I run into people advocating Islam on how it is a great religion and I know more about it then they do. They are argue I show them where they are wrong and then they just go on with their holy whatever....People are funny I tell ya...

Yeah but lets be a little more realistic shall we, replace the word "Islam" in your post with the name of any religion and you get exactly the same response. Given that all religions are based on faith I dont think it is possible to get any other response.

Do catholic shop assistants refuse to ring-up condoms? Do jewish refuse to ring up pork also?If you are a practicing satanist and you work in one of these stores do you refuse to sell any copies of the bible?What about feminist checkout staff? do they refuse to sell certain magazines.What about neo-nazi store assistants.Can they refuse to sell various ethnic products?
NO
Your beliefs are up to you but if you work in someones store you sell whatever they are selling or get another job.

Yeah but lets be a little more realistic shall we, replace the word "Islam" in your post with the name of any religion and you get exactly the same response. Given that all religions are based on faith I dont think it is possible to get any other response.

Yes you are correct I just re-read that and damn I should have before, it sounds like crap. I was specifically referencing Islam for two reasons, one this thread was about it, and two I actually had some "Muslim" argue with me about certain customs in their religion and this and that. Which I showed them they where completely incorrect, they then admitted they where wrong but kept on anyways....

Back