Muslims are not welcome Aussie minister says

phoenix80

Banned
Australian Minister's Comments on Sharia Law Anger Muslim Community

By Phil Mercer
Sydney
24 February 2006

A senior member of Australia's government has said Muslims who want to live by Islamic Sharia law are not welcome in the country.

In his speech on Australian citizenship, the minister said his remarks were directed at what he called a "small radical minority."

"You don't have to swear at the football and eat a pie to be an Australian," he said, "but you do have believe in democracy, the rule of law and the rights and liberties of others."

Read more @ VOA News

I just saw this story on VOA News web site. It is interesting though...

I don't see why they are blowing this out of proportion.

I agree with Treasure Costello. If you don't like our laws, there's the airport.

It is not an attack on all muslims. It is an attack at the radicals who wnat to make Australia part of the Islamic Super State in the Pacific. There are not many of them, but they exist.

As he continued to say, you don't have to be a die hard footy or V8 fan, to be an Australian. If you truly beleive in Democracy, Multiculturalism, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Religion then you are Australian.
If you want of Sharia Law, you don't want Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Press, Freedom of Speech or Multiculturalism.

Peter Costello has my respect for those Comments. despite the media's implimentation, the Howard Government isn't anti-muslim. Every time the Government makes a stand against extremism, The Media jump up and down and yell "RACISM"

Fortunatly he had the freedom to say this, and unfortunatly the press had the freedom to report this anyway they wanted.

I reckon that that is the way things are going. It is politically unacceptable to allow people to live in you country, while you know that they are opposed to the way you are running your country. You see it more and more in Europe to, although the politicians haven't had the guts to say it out loud. (The one who did got shot...... by an enviromentalist)

To add to what at Ted said...

And its not like Muslims countries are so tolerant about non muslims in their countries. Has anyone tried to be a practising Christian or Jewn in say Saudi Arabia...

mmarsh said:
To add to what at Ted said...

And its not like Muslims countries are so tolerant about non muslims in their countries. Has anyone tried to be a practising Christian or Jewn in say Saudi Arabia...

The Wahhabis in Saudi do not tolerate Shia muslims or Sufists either, let alone what they call infidels.

Make it a little simpler.....

chinese-canadian said:
ai...more alienation, more isolation, more problems
CC - let's see if I can make this issue a little simpler.

You live in an apartment complex and believe in live and let live as a philosophy. You are suddenly faced by an influx of a group of individuals who's beliefs are so alien to your way of life that they actually threaten not only your life but your family's lives.

Do you:
a) Turn the other cheek knowing that you, your wife and your children stand a very real chance of being murdered by this group because of their beliefs.

(or)

Do you:
b) Do everything in your power to drive them out in order to protect your family and your way of life.

I realize that this is a very simplistic approach to a very difficult issue ... but ... the problem facing the Australian government and all Australians is at root almost as simple as my illustration. Do you turn the other cheek knowing that the Islamic philosophy these people espouse is against everything that you believe in and could mean the death of countless citizens including you and your family (or) do you do everything to discourage the influx of this sect and try to convince those of that sect that have attempted to settle in your country that they are NOT welcomed and should go back where they came from?

The Islamic Sharia Muslims fall into a sect that wants to convert Australia to a Muslim country and believe they are to use any and all tactics to achieve this goal (including terrorism and guerrilla tactics). The only reason it hasn't come to this pass yet, is because the Australian government has taken some steps to limit the number of people from this sect from immigrating to Australia. Keep in mind there is NO compromise possible with this group's beliefs.

You and I don't have to answer these questions - we aren't being immediately threatened by this Islamic sects warped beliefs - our families and friends aren't in imminent danger as they are in Australia.

I realize that you will probably say can't we all just get along with each other? I would like to be able to agree with you - but - you and I both know that there are wacko Islamic sects that believe they have a mission assigned to them (via the Koran) that tells them that all other countries that are not Islamic are their enemies and they should wage war with them (read 'destroy them'). They absolutely WILL NOT compromise.

SO WHEN YOU TRY TO JUDGE STATEMENTS OR ACTIONS OF THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS ... REMEMBER ... A DANGEROUS GROUP HAS INFILTRATED THEIR HOMELAND AND THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT THEMSELVES JUST AS YOU OR I WOULD IF IT WERE OUR HOMES.

Last edited:
I believe only a small minority of Muslim people are extremists, however, comments like "muslism are not welcomed" simply make Muslim people feel alienated and make them harder to join the mainstream society.

Government officials should always be careful on what they say, try not to offend or to generalize any particular group

In Canada, the government has done well on this. That is why you dont see things like Racial riot (like the one happened in France).

The long-term solution for the threats within is to open our arms and welcome Muslims into our society, but also denounce thouse minority of the extremists.

If we denounce them all at all, we gonna drive more moderates into extremists and make them alienated.

No no CC there only talking about the extremiest muslims that follow sharia law.

Basically its like letting a bunch of Pat Robertsons enter your country, just a bad idea.

oh...lol..
if it is just about extremists, not only we should forbit them coming in, but also we should kick them out..

but I just hope the government can be careful on its lauguage..
u know, the media likes to grab and make a boom about it, and twist it a bit

yeah the big problem with this is, that the media here has an unfair Anti-Howard Agenda. Now it is okay to critise the Government in the press, we allow that in our society, but when the press has to lie, twist words, and exaggerate stories to get a good story, they are going to far.

Some papers here printed "Peter Costello said are Muslims not welcome in Australia". And allot of the international media ran with it.
He never said anything like that..

As Chief said, we here in Australia are under threat from dangerous radicals. Jaymar Islamia, whose Grand Strategic Objective is to creat an Islamic Superstate in the Pacific that encompasses Indonesia, Malaysia, PNG, Timor Leste, Brunei and Most of Northen Australia, have already targeted Australian's and have recived money and training from Al Queda to carry out attacks on Mainland Australia.

Our Boarders have been threatened openly, by an enemy that live in our boarders and in neighbouring states. Our idiot journalists don't realise this. We need to make these stands against extermism or we shall be detroyed.

If only one thing holds Australian's together, it is that we must unite and overcome against terrorism and extermism at home and abroad.

Bory said:
yeah the big problem with this is, that the media here has an unfair Anti-Howard Agenda. Now it is okay to critise the Government in the press, we allow that in our society, but when the press has to lie, twist words, and exaggerate stories to get a good story, they are going to far.

Some papers here printed "Peter Costello said are Muslims not welcome in Australia". And allot of the international media ran with it.

As Chief said, we here in Australia are under threat from dangerous radicals. Jaymar Islamia, whose Grand Strategic Objective is to creat an Islamic Superstate in the Pacific that encompasses Indonesia, Malaysia, PNG, Timor Leste, Brunei and Most of Northen Australia, have already targeted Australian's and have recived money and training from Al Queda to carry out attacks on Mainland Australia.

Our Boarders have been threatened openly, by an enemy that live in our boarders and in neighbouring states. Our idiot journalists don't realise this. We need to make these stands against extermism or we shall be detroyed.

If only one thing holds Australian's together, it is that we must unite and overcome against terrorism and extermism at home and abroad.

Your prime minister Howard is a cool person.

And the same thing happened to Pauline Hanson and Professor Geoffrey Blayney

Our idiot journalists don't realise this.

Our idiot journalists are mostly idealistic university graduates with no grounding in reality and are manipulated by those with an agenda.
I am currently attending uni for the first time (at 42 YOA). I am astounded that the place is soooo touchie feelie, no wonder the western world is as :cens: up as it is

What he said was they should fit into Australia's way of life, and if they did not want to that, then don't come here.

Back