Muslims detained by FBI after prayer




 
--
Muslims detained by FBI after prayer
 
November 9th, 2005  
youngCAPcadet
 
 

Topic: Muslims detained by FBI after prayer


Muslims detained by FBI after prayer
[quote]Muslims detained at prayer seek understanding By Gelu Sulugiuc
Thu Nov 3,12:43 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Five Muslims who were detained after praying at an American football game want to turn the incident into a tool to teach Americans about Islam.

While at a New York Giants against New Orleans Saints game at Giants Stadium on September 19, the New Jersey residents were removed from their seats and questioned by FBI agents after other fans saw them bow to the ground as part of the five-daily Muslim prayers.

"As Muslims, we just have to pray when it's time to pray," Sami Shaban told a news conference in New York on Wednesday. "We thought nothing of it. I pray in malls, I pray everywhere."

The 27-year-old law school student said he and his friends were questioned for about 25 minutes, missing part of the second half of the game. After they were released, an FBI agent told him they had been unwitting victims of racial profiling, Shaban said.

The FBI said the men were questioned because they congregated near an air duct at the stadium, not because they were praying. But the men dismissed that explanation.

"Let's be real here, if anybody with my description even scratches their ear, people get nervous," said Mostafa Khalifa, 27, who, like Shaban, wears a long beard and was among those detained. "I did nothing wrong, I should not change."

He pointed out that football players often huddle and pray on the sideline as a teammate attempts a game-winning kick in the waning seconds of a game.

The fans said they would like to turn the incident into an opportunity to teach Americans about Islamic traditions.

They teamed up with the Council on American-Islamic Relations and invited anybody interested to join them in celebrating the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan along with thousands of worshipers in New Jersey on Thursday or Friday.

"We want to stop profiling. The more that people learn about Islam, the more tolerant they become," said Wissam Nasr, the council's executive director in New York.

Shaban said he has made giving Muslims a good name in the United States his life's purpose.

"I've been a Giants fan since I was like six years old," he said. "I don't want it to be that any time a Muslim goes to a Giants game they can't enjoy the game ... because of the length of our beard or the way that we are."[quote]


Talk about ridiculous,What is your opinion on the whole situation?
November 9th, 2005  
03USMC
 
 
Well lets discuss what's not being said by the Media in the above report.

The reason the FBI was on site along with the Secert Service was that Former President Bush was in the Meadow Lands for that game.

These individuals were not just near an airduct they were near the main air intake duct for the Stadium, and a food preparation area. The duct/intake has since been fenced off due to this incident.

Add that to the real and still remembered terrorist attacks across the river in NYC. The recent terror alerts in NYC. The FBI had a duty to at least investigate the report. Had they not they would have been remiss in their duties.

Sorry but their being questioned for 25 minutes and missing part of a football game does not bother me in the least.
November 9th, 2005  
Italian Guy
 
 
I just don't see what the big deal is.
Next time they better pick another praying spot.
--
Muslims detained by FBI after prayer
November 10th, 2005  
Damien435
 
 
No way to say this without sounding racist so I won't even bother trying to cover it up.

The attackers behind 9/11 were Muslims.

The attackers behind the Madrid bombings were Muslims.

The Attackers behind the London subway and bus bombings were Muslims.

The suicide bombers in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights are Muslims.

When a group of Muslim males start acting suspiciously at a football game when the former President of the United States, who as you might recall was already the target of one thwarted assassination attempt by a Muslim, is in attendance and on top of that they are in a location that should be watched like a hawk by security then yes, some alarms will go off. And I agree with my Marine counterpart, they only missed 25 minutes of the second half and they weren't even hurt anyways.
November 10th, 2005  
phoenix80
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
I just don't see what the big deal is.
Next time they better pick another praying spot.
Ditto!

Btw, there are specific rules in the Islamic religion on where muslims are allowed to pray!
November 10th, 2005  
bulldogg
 
 
Yes, apparently pork processing plants are a big no no.
November 10th, 2005  
Damien435
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Yes, apparently pork processing plants are a big no no.
lol
November 10th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
No way to say this without sounding racist so I won't even bother trying to cover it up.

The attackers behind 9/11 were Muslims.

The attackers behind the Madrid bombings were Muslims.

The Attackers behind the London subway and bus bombings were Muslims.

The suicide bombers in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights are Muslims.

When a group of Muslim males start acting suspiciously at a football game when the former President of the United States, who as you might recall was already the target of one thwarted assassination attempt by a Muslim, is in attendance and on top of that they are in a location that should be watched like a hawk by security then yes, some alarms will go off. And I agree with my Marine counterpart, they only missed 25 minutes of the second half and they weren't even hurt anyways.
I totally do agree..

And also, the praying spot and the action itself! was not necessary..