music taste & age

chewie_nz

Banned
so then....inspired by off topic wanderings in another thread i thought i'd start this one;

first, what music were you into when you were 15 ~ 21? and what did people approx ten years older think of it?

now reverse the situation, what do you think of music from the younger age group.

~ and for myself? i am 25 in june. i have always been into rock music (my first CD was weezers "blue" album, 2nd was green days dookie)
eventually getting into harder tunes (metallica, korn etc) and esp local NZ rock (if you can...look for a band called Shihad *awesome*) before returning to my punk roots and more alternative bands.

while i appreciate the skills involved in hip hop and the situation that gave rise to it...i don't like it. but my strongest feelings are reserved for pop...aweful, soul-less money hunger pop.

what about your selves?

I walked into a music store a few days ago....
and I realized I had no idea what was what. I don't know a thing about music.

First there was the grunge hype (early 90's)...then I moved up towards Sepultura and alike...then pot came along, which sparked the unthinkable until then-me liking electronic music...I'm pretty much in electronic waters nowadays-though I like a lot of other styles too...like r'n'b for instance.

well, Im 17 right now. I like a little Metal, mainly Iron Maiden and Metallica.
I really like Nirvana.
others: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Guns and Roses...
I like Classical 2, all the great ones, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, so on.

as for what my parents think, they dont much mmind, unless they tell me to turn the volume down.... :D

My musical tastes have been a gradual increase in musical intelligence.

I began my musical consciousness in the alternative rock scene of the mid 90s. As the uniqueness of that music died away to popular music blandness I found metal and Metallica. I enjoyed the Metallica, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc. until I discovered Death/Black Metal in 2001. Since then I have delved deeper and deeper into the complexities and origionality of that subgenre and am now deeply into anti-melody like Dillinger Escape Plan that completely disregardes everything that a manstream person understands as 'music'.

In short, my 3 year long serious foray into the artistic beauty of music has been the single more interesting and enjoyable adventure I have taken in my life.

Well Im only 16 now and I like most alternative music. I hate rap though can't stand it and I never will like it. For people 10 years older then me I think their music is Ok as long as it isnt rap.

SHERMAN said:
well, Im 17 right now. I like a little Metal, mainly Iron Maiden and Metallica.
I really like Nirvana.
others: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Guns and Roses...
I like Classical 2, all the great ones, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, so on.

as for what my parents think, they dont much mmind, unless they tell me to turn the volume down.... :D

Not a bad list at all.

My music was rock `n roll and I mean Buddy Holly, Elvis, Del Shannon, Roy Orbison, etc.... At some time, I started listening to Janis Joplin and some of the folk singers. Peter, Paul, and Mary were probably my favorites at that time. To me, the Everly Brothers and the Righteous Brothers will never go out of style. I am 60 now and still listen to the same music, just on disks now. Add Floyd Cramer to that list. as for today, I can stand some of the Rock if it is played at low levels and uses non repetitious lyrics which can also be understood. I have no idea of any group names though.
OLD FOGEY.

Classical Music, Symphonic Music, Orchestral Music, Music Soundtrack, Contemporary Music

ltes go a lil high fidality here;

top five groups/albums

shihad - killjoy
greenday - american idiot
the music - welcome to the north
RATM - Battle for los angeles
Rancid - and out come the wolves

musical taste: just about anything. I'm rather eclectic but i prefer ska and reggae. I listen to alot of punkish music too...and emo. My fave bands are Five Iron Frenzy, Planet Smashers, U2(their older stuff, from joshua tree especially), rufio, taking back sunday, older AFI, weezer. I listen to some classical, I love Pachabel's Cannon. My dad's into country, which isn't something I'm really into, I ahte my brother's taste in music as well, it's all electronica and hardcore whiteboy rap. When I was younger I was into grunge and metal.

chewie, did shihad change thier name back again? is there any truth to the rumour that they were asked to change thier name after september 11 bc it sounded too much like jiihad. cuz they were pacifier for a whlie weren't they?

I'm 18 and I'm into alot of indy rock, garage rock and emo. Favourites artists being Auf Der Maur, the Hives, The Smashing Pumpkins, Old Offspring, Nirvanna, The Stokes, the Constattines, Bad Religion, the Planet Smashers....soem more but I can't think of them.

Locke said:
chewie, did shihad change thier name back again? is there any truth to the rumour that they were asked to change thier name after september 11 bc it sounded too much like jiihad. cuz they were pacifier for a whlie weren't they?

yup you're spot on. they even appoligised to the fans. they weren't asked to change the name but the thought it would be prudent as they had a new album out in the US due not long after.
there was alot of bitching about it, but i found it funny when they chose "pacifier" as the new name. cause who needs a pacifier? whingey babies. and they had to change the name to break into what market? the US hehehehe

check out this awesome story about the name change
0,1445,173122,00.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3125973a1860,00.html

Back