MunitionsAirman Trivia - Page 4

--
Boots

March 11th, 2004  
Popeye

President Roosevelt... he controlled the Army.... and he died.
March 11th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Technically Franklin D. Roosevelt wasn't a soldier and didn't die in combat but you didn't specify that he had to die in combat, however, our Commander in Chief at the time did die of a cerebral hemorrhage on April 12, 1945 in Warm Springs, Georgia.
March 11th, 2004  
Redneck

Well he wasn't "killed" since we're arguing semantics.
--
Boots
March 11th, 2004  
Rick90467

I'm not real sure the rank structure for a major gen. in the 1870's. But an interesting trivia note Major General Edward Richard Sprigg Canby was named army commander of the Department of the Columbia. He was later sent in 1873 to California for participation in the Modoc War. The Modocs, entrenched in Captain Jack's Stronghold south of Tule Lake, resisted army attacks so effectively that a peace conference was arranged. General Canby was shot and killed by Captain Jack of the Modocs on April 11, 1873, becoming the first, and only, general killed during the Indian Wars.
March 11th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Arn't you forgetting Custer Wasn't he a Brig or a Maj.?
March 11th, 2004  
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Congrats Animal mother you got the answer i was looking for...

The highest ranking American killed was Lt. Gen. Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps. So much for allies...
March 11th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
Arn't you forgetting Custer Wasn't he a Brig or a Maj.?
He thought he was. He actually died a Lieutenant Colonel.
March 11th, 2004  
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

NEW QUESTION

Who was the youngest ever U.S. Service man???

What was his name? How old was he? What branch of service was he in? What happened to him?
March 11th, 2004  
Rick90467

Possibly John Lincoln Clem also called Johnny Shilow he was around 10 (US Army) but I've seen stories of him actually joining but not recognized officially at the age of 8 1/2. He retired a Major General and attempted to re-enlist WWI but was denied, he died of old age in '37
March 11th, 2004  
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

I have never heard of this one... i will have to look into that