Munitions, Battle Facts and Coverage in Afghanistan

Missileer said:
This article in the Washington Post is dated but if you're interested in what started the war in Afghanistan and the equipment used and other facts of the defeat of the Taliban, take a look.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/graphics/attack/response_14.html

The dropdowns at the top are full of info.

That Daisy Cutter attack concept is interesting. But I think it does more damage then the mentioned few hundered yards.

Especially in battle of Tora Bora region, these bombs burried many Talibani soldiers alive in there hideouts and destroyed portions of many peaks.

I don't think they really knew what would happen in enclosed spaces like Tora Bora since the cutter was meant for wide open spaces. I guess they now know it was an effective use of munitions.

Missileer said:
I don't think they really knew what would happen in enclosed spaces like Tora Bora since the cutter was meant for wide open spaces. I guess they now know it was an effective use of munitions.
Yes! they were eventually used in Vietnam war for clearing up ground in forests to pave way for helicopter landing camps.

But they are deadly in urban zones or mountanious regions. And the new MOAB is designed to deal some real damage in Urban or open-ground scenarios. Man! I wan't to see this baby in action in real battle :oops:

Since the MOAB is a fuel-air instead of thermobaric like the Daisy Cutter, I think it was decided not to use it on Tora Bora for political reasons. It seems that I read that the MOAB is the most destructive non-nuclear bomb in the US arsenal and that would just be too close to a nuclear explosion. I'm sure it would have set off seismic sensors all over the middle East and further, not good.

Back