Multi-Tool issued in military ??

mdvaden

Does the Military issue multi-tools similar to Leatherman or smaller such as the Victorinox credit card size gadget with scissors, knife, etc.?

in some MOS's yes, others no. I believe most MOS's that deal with the flight line do. I had a friend who was in armament, and he always flaunted the fact that his unit issued him one and mine didn't. There was also a safety poster that said not to leave a multi tool on a chopper after you get done working on it.

Another factor is how a unit spends money. Each unit only has so much cash to spend in a year. If a commander feels the need for every troop to have a milti tool, he'll make it happen.

USMC doesnt issue that, never heard of one being issued, as soon as i get to the fleet im getting a gerber or something like that im a winger btw, hopefully gonna work w/ helo's

mdvaden said:
Does the Military issue multi-tools similar to Leatherman or smaller such as the Victorinox credit card size gadget with scissors, knife, etc.?

The last Unit I was with issued everyone with a leatherman type of tool but when you leave you must return it to the Q Store.

Bloody Q system

MilidarUSMC...and Time....

I was chuckling while reading your posts because moments before I was reflecting on the imagery that movies have put in my head over the years for the military, like with the Marines.

Need to cut out a bullet? Use the knife.

Need a toothpick? Use the knife.

Need anything else? Use the knife.

I guess you could even climb a tree if you had a pair of them to dig in like a peg board.

Hi, I'm Canadian army, here and everyone in the Canadian forces gets a multi-tool, we started with gerber, but because of its sliding mechanism, it created static electricity and was no good around C-4... so we now carry the SOG multi tool

I know SF teams (some of them anyway) get the Mission MPK, or Multi Purpose Knife, but it's far from multi purpose. It's a titanium knife that's practically impervious to erosion. Nice piece of work, but metal is a bit soft. MOD also makes a tactical knife (CQD Mark VI Stinger) that can be used as a pry bar, utility knife, or fighting knife. They aren't exactly like the Leatherman's or Swiss Army knives, but they serve as pretty decent multi role fixed blade knives.

I got one Swiss copy of leatherman. I have got only little use for it. Usually knife is enough. I have heard that multitools are very useful in signal corps, where need to cut wires/cables and repairing jobs etc.

Well, its a decent idea because you really don't know when a screwdriver (not the cocktail, the tool :lol: ), a set of pliers or a pocketknife are going to come in handy.

yeah I hardly ever wear mine in Garrison, so I have it attached to my tac vest.... It comes in handy... Easier to cut flexi cuffs when you have a wire cutter instead of a knife

The Swiss Army knife has always come in handy while camping. I can't see how it won't be of any use for the common line soldier.

The US EODs have one in their tool kit that is attached to the M-11 knife (a version of the M-9), it also has a small Mag Lite in it.

here an image:
http://www.rguns.net/007_1.html

If I have been told right the Brits have some sort of tool that is like a plier with stuff that foldsout of the grips, some British army folks here may tell more.

Back