Multi fronted invasion

playstation60

Most of you know that I am writing an invasion novel series, dealing with a large scale invasion and occupation of the U.S. I was brought to my attention that I should perhaps limit the fronts to just one. Meaning that the foreign troops used to take over the country have but one avenue of entrance to the country. I would like to know the specific advantages and disadvantages for this. The invasion has to succeed, so please look at things from the invader's point of view, instead of the defender's.

Ben

advantages: Concentrated force..only 1 major supply route

disadvantages: enemy force is concentrated too

Good vs Bad

Is that the only set of advantages, disadvantages? There has to be more. Otherwise a multi fronted attack would be more adventagous for the attackers, as the defender has a natural advantage is knowing the territory, and has the ability to fall back into friendly territory to regroup.

Ben

thanks

Awesome, beardo. I look forward to it. Any info you can provide will be of great help.

To everyone else, let me know what you think too.

What are the sides involved? It surely can't be one.
What year does this story take place?
Give us some background so we can give better insight.
Will Canada be targeted first? Or is Canada invading? ;) What is Mexico's role. Cuba no doubt would be a staging area for the invasion right?

I once was writing a story based on a SWAT Team of sorts set in the scenario of George Orwell's book 1984.

i read a book ages ago that dealt with the invasion of the US by china. set in the near future. was VERY good but for the life of me can't remember it's name.

if it was MY army...and one day it will be... i wouldn't want to mess with and hunter killer subs. so up through south america would be my pick.

and i take it nukes are not an option?

maybe a sustained faint attck...draw the forces away to what they think is the main attck, the open a second front

Well, the US is situated in a very unique way, we have two exposed coasts on opposite sides of the country, both are very long coasts with thousands of possible invasion sites, but no other nation in the world really has the ability to hit both at once, we on the other hand can use the Panama Canal and our extensive interstate system to transport almost our entire armed forces from coast to coast in a matter of weeks, maybe even days. Either way surprise is not very easily achieved, our Navy and Air Force would have to be destroyed, meaning that the UK, Russia, Japan, and a couple other European Nations would have to be involved because our Navy and Air Force are second to none, our Marines Corps. or Army might have their equals in the UK, Russia, China, Germany or France but even those above mentioned countries Navies combined would not be able to take out our Navy AND Air Force, we have 14 fleet carriers, 13 more than any other nation. Russia might have a large fleet of submarines but I think the Kirsk incident proved the state it is in.

So, if you have a two front invasion you need to have a coalition of nations devoting all their resources to destroying the US, and don't forget about militias. Either way the Air Force adn Navy will have to be destroyed, Hawaii would have to be invaded first if coming from Asia and Canada would make a much better back door than South America. If it is China invading set it in the year 2097, Russia 2068, and the UK better go with 1862, Brazil invading, forget about it, France? Nope, Germany? Even less likely.

playstation60 said:
Most of you know that I am writing an invasion novel series, dealing with a large scale invasion and occupation of the U.S. I was brought to my attention that I should perhaps limit the fronts to just one. Meaning that the foreign troops used to take over the country have but one avenue of entrance to the country. I would like to know the specific advantages and disadvantages for this. The invasion has to succeed, so please look at things from the invader's point of view, instead of the defender's.

Ben

this was the book that i read, i enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/051...044-8917737?_encoding=UTF8&p=S001#reader-page

Damien435 said:
So, if you have a two front invasion you need to have a coalition of nations devoting all their resources to destroying the US, and don't forget about militias. Either way the Air Force adn Navy will have to be destroyed, Hawaii would have to be invaded first if coming from Asia and Canada would make a much better back door than South America. If it is China invading set it in the year 2097, Russia 2068, and the UK better go with 1862, Brazil invading, forget about it, France? Nope, Germany? Even less likely.

Hey, Damien, where did you come up with the years, for the countries you listed?

I have every intension of having the invasion take place in a modern setting, however the thought of having it set even slightly in the future is entertaining, it allows me a bit of creativity, that I wouldn't have if I were to try and stick to the confines of reality. *scratches chin* Hmmmm....

The overal scenario of the books is that the U.S. develops a missle defense and radar system that is to make the country impervious to any foreign attack. The system's defensive response uses EMP technology. For reasons that are not explained until towards the end of the book, and sprinkled throughout the entire series *or so I plan*, a couple of foreign countries pool resources and figure out a way of disabling the defense system, allowing for a massive missle assault on real sensitive locations. Shortly after the the missle assault ground troops start landing. As it stands right now I am planning on a landing in the West coast first. The following day there will be landinds and air drops near TX, in FL, and in NYC......The point of the points of attack are to push the U.S. into the interior of the country, limiting their ability to respond. The invasion is to succeed, otherwise there couldn't be a second book, lol.

Ben

I don't know dude.
No one's got the ability to deploy and sustain any force an ocean away that could ever get close to challenging the US.
Even if they could get the defenses down, and luanch a few missiles etc. they couldn't land enough of anything to make a real difference.

How did I come up with those dates? Simple, China would need to build up a Navy and Russia would need to rebuild and refurbish their existing Navy, and Britain, well they can not dominate the world like they used to because they lost their colonies, so I just went back to when they were at the height of their power IMO, if they truly tried to retake America they most likely would have succeeded.

BTW, can anybody tell me the strategic importance of capturing those lands in gray?

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/8733/usoutline1cl.jpg

Establish Underground Military installations? Airbases? Anything you can think of.

Question, NORAD have been claimed to be located in where?

Gray areas

There are many reasons for wanting to hold the grey areas you have marked on the map. It completely separates the country, severing population centers, limiting the ability for a military response.

Ben

Or to create a DMZ/buffer zone. As Kane have said, you can do many things with that much land at your disposal.

Don't forget about how to fend off a pre-emptive strike by the US. Or an immediate retaliatory strike by Boomers, silos, and heavy bombers as well as stealth bombers. I think with good information gathering it may be possible to neutralize some of these but the subs would be a challenge.
The only successful invasion would be when the nuclear arsenal was either depleted or knocked out somehow. By then, if anything was left alive that didn't have radiation poisoning or burns, a ground force would have to funnel down through Canada and Alaska which is the weakest defended front. That's not a cut at Canada, it's just that the Southern border is so heavily defended. I would try a front from the North and try to cover from the East coast to the West coast with Naval and Airborne forces. When the Southwestern defense is pulled to the fronts, then another assault could begin from that direction. The Coastal assaults would be suicide.

Well I see nobody mentioned anything about the bread basket of America, the plains states produce most of the food for the whole country, if those fall the rest of the country will be hard pressed to try and find enough food to feed the soldiers and the people./

Back