Multi-barreled tank?

Damien435

One of my friends has a picture of himself standing next to a tank with two gun barrels in the turret, now I can't really dispute the existance of such a tank in the Army because he has a picture right there, but how often were these tanks produced and what was the reasoning for two barrels as opposed to the usual one?

BTW, the tank appears to be an M-60 if that is of any help, I haven't really found anything online thus far.

Damien435 said:
One of my friends has a picture of himself standing next to a tank with two gun barrels in the turret, now I can't really dispute the existance of such a tank in the Army because he has a picture right there, but how often were these tanks produced and what was the reasoning for two barrels as opposed to the usual one?

BTW, the tank appears to be an M-60 if that is of any help, I haven't really found anything online thus far.

No M60 in U.S. Army history had two barrels.

No, this picture was taken..... god knows how many years ago, must have been at least 8 and I believe it was in front of a VA hospital in Minnesota or something like that.

I don't know of any such tank in history with two barrels in a single turret.

There have been numerous attempts at multi-turret tanks, however.

What G Connor provided is nothing close to what my friend was standing under, this thing was rather large, I will see if I can get the picture.

G Connor said:
The Warsaw Pact fielded a tracked version of the ZSU-57-2 for many years. Not strictly a tank but at first blush appears tobe a tracked armored vehicle with two barrels. The conical flash surpressors are a key identification feature.
http://armyreco.ifrance.com/russe/vehicule_artillerie/zsu-57-2/zsu-57-2_air-defence_armoured_vehicle_russia_03.jpg
I have seen a lot of these as gate guardians and static displays. And a few as airfield defense weapons in sub Saharan Africa.

Looks to be mounted on a T-55/T-62 chassis.

That was the Mause. Cause there is no tank bigger than the Mause. BTW the tank with two barrels, does it look like the one in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 , The Apocalipse?

zander_0633 said:
That was the Mause. Cause there is no tank bigger than the Mause. BTW the tank with two barrels, does it look like the one in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 , The Apocalipse?

What about the Ratte?

latte19.jpg

Back