Mullen: More Trainers Needed For Afghanistan

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
ArmyTimes.com
June 18, 2008 By Michelle Tan, Staff writer
TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. — The key to leaving Afghanistan in the hands of its people is to send more trainers to work with Afghan soldiers and police, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told Marines here Tuesday.
“While I’m short combat troops in Afghanistan, the number one need is trainers,” Adm. Michael Mullen said to the Marines, who themselves are preparing to deploy to Iraq as military trainers. “This is the path home, in my view. You’re going to train the Iraqi or Afghan forces to take over their own security. There’s nothing more important for long-term security.”
In separate sessions Tuesday, Mullen fielded questions from Marines about everything from combat deployments to the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle, or MRAP.
Citing the relative calm in Iraq’s Anbar Province, where most Marines in Iraq are serving, Mullen was asked if he anticipated a plan to send Marines into Baghdad.
“There are no plans to deploy Marines to Baghdad right now,” he said, adding that Gen. James Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, has pushed for his force to serve a diminished role in Iraq and a larger role in Afghanistan.
“The commandant wants to put more Marines [in Afghanistan],” Mullen said. “That’s not going to happen until there’s a significant reduction in Iraq.”
Senior leaders continue to juggle the demand for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, Mullen said, and the need to increase dwell time for combat weary troops.
“We’ve got to get to two to one,” he said. “If you’re gone seven [months], you should be home 14.”
Conway has said he expects to grow the active-duty Marine Corps to an end-strength of 202,000 by the end of fiscal 2009, Mullen said.
Looking ahead, Mullen said all U.S. forces must be faster, more precise and more adaptable.
“I see us all in irregular warfare for as far as I can see into the future, but I see conventional warfare, too,” he said. “I see the Marines going back to sea. I see us being expeditionary. I see Marines in smaller units.”

Back