Mulch Warning

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. The hurricanes in the New Orleans area toppled many trees. Afterwards, these trees were ground into mulch, and Louisiana is trying to clean up and get rid of tons and tons of it to any other state or company who will haul it away. Therefore, it might be showing up at your neighborhood Home Depot or Lowes at dirt cheap prices, with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags.

New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country where the Formosan Termite has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case ever of spreading a major problem to every part of the country.

These termites can eat a house in no time at all and there is no effective control against them, so tell your friends who own homes to avoid cheap mulch and to know where the mulch they're buying was produced.

http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/en/environment/insects/Termites/formosan_termites/

Great. Another side effect of the hurricane. Take it out in the middle of the ocean and dump it. It is organic so it would have no long lasting effect on the ecology. It would kill the termites as well I imagine 8).

Sorry folks this one seems to be just another urban legend.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]Formosan Termites[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]
Claim: E-mail warns that buying mulch from major home improvement stores will spread the Formosan subterranean termite.

Example: [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial][Collected via e-mail, 2006][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/termites.asp
[/FONT]

Didnt really matter to me anyway...I dont use mulch...my school's agriscience department might have been in trouble...lol...

Hahahaha..... You guys must have had absolutely nothing pressing to while spending time to this nonsense (what we call Broodje Aap-stories... a Monkey sandwich, in other words poo poo)

Ted, I am sure there are things you would consider serious that I would look at you and say "Are you serious?" while I would consider it negligent.

Yes, I was serious. I have this horribly overactive conscience whereby if I were to know about something and failed to warn someone and misfortune befell them I would feel guilt over my inaction. So I will suffer being the fool from time to time as a result.

bulldogg said:
Yes, I was serious. I have this horribly overactive conscience whereby if I were to know about something and failed to warn someone and misfortune befell them I would feel guilt over my inaction. So I will suffer being the fool from time to time as a result.
Hey, you're no fool. I've done the same thing too, but I completely agree with you, better safe than sorry, no harm done.

Back