MSNBC Article: Bad Blood Amongst the President's men.

mmarsh

May 28, 2007 issue - Former deputy attorney general James Comey gave a riveting account of a hospital-room confrontation over President George W. Bush's warrantless-wiretapping program. But Comey's testimony last week told only part of the story of the clash sparked when Alberto Gonzales, then White House counsel, and the then White House chief of staff Andrew Card tried to get an ailing John Ashcroft to recertify Bush's supersecret surveillance activities. The dispute began in early March 2004, when Attorney General Ashcroft—after being briefed by Comey—agreed the classified program was unlawful and should no longer be approved. Right after that, Ashcroft became ill with pancreatitis, was rushed to the hospital and had his gallbladder removed on March 9. (Ashcroft's powers had been temporarily transferred to Comey.) The next evening, when he learned that Card and Gonzales were headed to see a sedated Ashcroft to get him to recertify the program, Comey rushed to the hospital to intercept them. When Gonzales tried to get Ashcroft to sign a document, Ashcroft said he wouldn't do that, according to Comey. "But that doesn't matter, because I'm not the attorney general," Ashcroft allegedly added, pointing to Comey. "There's the attorney general."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18754304/site/newsweek

Taking advantage of a sick and sedated man in order to extend a law that is known to be illegal. How low can these people go? They seem determined to take James Buchanan's crown as "Worst Ever".

I never liked Ashcroft (still don't), but I will give credit where its due and praise him for protecting the integrity of the United States Constitution by resisting the White House Gastapo.

Back