MRE's

GreggK

why does MRE's have such a bad rap? i think they are pretty decent. we use these for paintball outtings. whats your opinion?

They get real old real quick, but they're definitely not that bad. I think they're about as good of chow as you could hope to get in most situations though. I've actually heard a couple rumors that we're going to be getting freeze dried ice cream on a couple of the new menus. :lol:

The beef stew MRE tastes like Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I love it. I'm trying to find a cheap pack i can buy for airsoft skirmishes.

local army navy has a case of MRE's for $45 i stocked my buddies up already for the next few weeks (we bought 7 cases)

Our rations are getting alot better, the meals are great, i do like American MRE's because they are different, i like the Brit ones too even though they only get one for the day.

GUNNER

45 Bucks a case? thats great! the local A/N sells them for 7.50 a meal..75 bucks a case!

Where you at gregg? excuse me, where are them MREs at? I need to stock my bomb shelter!

:D

I've been eating them since I've been over here and at first I couldn't stand them!!!! It's taken a while to get used to them. Some of them are really good but then again some of them are just awful!

Mark Conley said:
45 Bucks a case? thats great! the local A/N sells them for 7.50 a meal..75 bucks a case!

http://www.military-quotes.com/military-surplus/mre.htm ;)

$44.97 for a case of 12 meals..
The MilQuotes PX at your service, Sir! :rambo: :lol:

The Norwegian MREs (Field Meals) are some of the best in the world (my opinion).
I've tastes British, US, French etc.. but thay can't be compared to ours, they do actually taste like they are supposed to do.. :lol:
They are produced by Drytech Norway, you can find some examples of menus here:
http://www.drytech.no/index.php?&lang=eng&ID=59

I'm asking this in all seriousness, do the French MRE equivalents have alcohol in them? I'm curious because one of our sergeants swears up and down they do.

one of the most abused systems in the military system is the long term issuance of field rations like the MRE.

The MRE is intended to be a short duration type meal. system..intended for supplementing the regular ration thats supposed to come from the field kitchen. You arent supposed to eat these type meals for long durations at a time say like a week...2 weeks... 3 weeks or the whole campaign ad nauseam.

Yes it says Meal, Ready to Eat. It contains everything a person involved in combat would need in regards to calories needed to fight, run, build, knock down ect. Yes they have very tempting and tasty entrees...but they still effect people when eaten under non-combat conditions. Lots of calories..tendency to lodge and stay in the colon...and they require that you swallow at least one quart canteen of water with each meal, in order for it to digest properly.

One time, i ate five meals, one right after the other, to win a bet. Now these were the first of the MRE meals issued...dry meat patties and pork patties...i just about died. :)

I m not saying they are bad...im saying that they are overused. I had to eat them one time for 2 weeks straight...and ill tell you it was a screaming nitemare when i was finally able to...relieve myself.

I feel thats why they get a bad rep sometimes...its just overuse :D

I love MREs, I think my favorite was the chicken rice stuff, with tabasco... mm mmm good!

HOLY CRAP 45 BUCKS A CASE! oh man this is perfect for my all day hunting excursions...Ruck sack, 3 MRE's, ammo, rifle..sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Our NJROTC unit uses them our summer field exercises. They aren't bad...not bad at all and a lot easier than cooking. :D

Does anyone else not use those heater dealies except to make MRE bombs? :lol:

by the time we get to unruck and get some chow, Im' starving, so I usually just rip open the sucker and chow down.

We had one genius decide that he was special and could make a whole meal during a five minute security halt, he got his heater pack going and the order to ruck up came and he decided to cram the whole thing in his cargo pocket. In Kentucky. In June. :lol:

Redneck said:
We had one genius decide that he was special and could make a whole meal during a five minute security halt, he got his heater pack going and the order to ruck up came and he decided to cram the whole thing in his cargo pocket. In Kentucky. In June. :lol:

Ouch. Does he still have the capability to reproduce? Or, indeed, breathe? :D

Back