MOVING TARGETS - Page 2

--

August 9th, 2010  
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/Commander
That story is four years old - I have no doubts that we've progressed in that field. No one is saying we're invincible, but the truth is that we do not sit still as people develop counters to our ships.
Well I do know that the Gotland class submarines have evolved so I hope the carrier groups have or the gap is even bigger by now.
I am not saying this is the only threat to carriers, but I think this is the medium the largest problems lie.

And BTW, you still train against the oldest boat of the class Gotland that hasnīt all the latest kit.
Just sayin`.

As for the idea of fast attack boats as bouncers.
Problem is they got outmanuevered and sunk.
I have seen some Swedish reports on the exercises and they were satisfactory, I have also worked off the Gotland class and itīs rather freaky how close to a coastline they can get undetected to deliver SOF Teams.

The Brits also has subs with this propulsion system, good thing noone is about to sell it to China and/or NK.

//KJ.
August 9th, 2010  
A Can of Man

With smart use of underwater terrain and conditions, tactics and the right sort of luck, anything is possible.
August 10th, 2010  
Yossarian

What about cuts in defense spending? And new administration changes every 4 to 8 years?Along with new policies, does this impact naval weapon,and propulsion development?
--
August 10th, 2010  
A Can of Man

I don't think cuts in spending necessarily mean your force will become weaker.
It really is about how it's spent and with the way the economy is around the world, it's inevitable.
It certainly forces you to be efficient.
August 10th, 2010  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
What about trying to come up with ways to better equipped attack boats to handle quieter adversaries?And assigning them to carrier groups on bouncer duty?
Can't talk about that, really, but rest assured we're advancing. And don't worry - every CVBG has at least one SSN attached.
August 10th, 2010  
Yossarian

I am sure the technological challenges will be looked into, but in time they could become cheaper and easier to produce, thus distribute to not so nice adversaries of the United States. And it seems the more that happens with any weapon technology or development (counting a submarine wholly as a weapon platform ) the more knowledge is out there for anyone to get there hands on about said tech.
August 24th, 2010  
Gestapo Hunter

If operating in a flottila i guess the combined CIWS should be able to handle a number of anti-ship missiles. Unless the carrier is out by itself and gets bombarded by a couple dozen missile.(which brings up a question why a carrier is out by itself)
August 24th, 2010  
Yossarian

What about waves of missiles? Launched from different platforms? Even still , all the warships in a CVBG can have their defensive weapons and eyes linked together to provide incredible protection.
August 25th, 2010  
Gestapo Hunter

Are the CIW automated or do they require a personal to activate?
August 26th, 2010  
Yossarian

OPSEC might not allow that information to be released, so I doubt the USN will get to descriptive there.

However, the weapons themselves are basically fully automated. Many versions of the weapons are used in Modern Navy's around the world, they look different, but the premise is the same.