Moving South

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Well, folks, I'll be offline for at least the next couple of weeks or so. I may be able to stop in tomorrow before they shutdown my internet connection. Big changes here; we're moving 1200 miles south and starting a new life for the next few years. Keeping the house in Vermont. We'll rent it out until our return. I'll let you all know where and what I'm doing as soon as I have specifics on policies etc., etc.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys! :D

I'll be sure to fill you in on everything as soon as I know what is appropriate. For now, I'll tell you that we're heading for the Carolinas.

I'll try to check in again later today providing my ISP hasn't shut me off by then.

Surprisingly enough, my ISP hasn't disconnected me yet. They were supposed to a week ago by their statement to me when I cancelled the account. With luck (knock on wood), I'll still be online Sunday when we hit the road for Dixieland and be able to say my goodbyes until we're up and running again down south. If not, I just wanted to let ya all know I'll miss this place while I'm gone.

Shouldn't be all that long but I'm going to have my hands full with alot of other things before I can spend much time on that. This is the Army, remember? I'm gonna hit the ground with my feet running. :roll: :lol:

Hi folks!

Just dropping you all a line to let you know we made it down here safe and sound. Not by much though. 20 miles north of Harrisburg, PA a tractor trailer shredded a tire right in front of us. Screamed pretty loud alright seeing a chunk of rubber weighing about 100 llbs or more flying straight at the windsheild! Lucky for us we caught it on the down bounce and it went under the car. So we only lost the exhaust system instead of our lives. That was our sole adventure and that was enough!

Very busy here. Moving about ten directions at once each at about mach 2 but hey, this is what I asked for. The South is definitely a different world. One thing I can't get over is how well thought of the military is here. I've been on southern posts before but never intermingled much with the civilian population until now. The amount of respect shown is really heartwarming. Good people here, beautiful weather, positive upbeat attitudes - we're really feeling like we should've done this a long time ago. So nice in fact, that we're thinking of keeping the Vermont house as only a vacation home and staying here permanently.

Well, have to get going, but I'll check back in now and then and when things settle down more I'll be spending time here again.

yea we do have alot of pro-military people down here... I like it though. When I lived up North I would get made fun of alot because i wore an Army T-shirt to school. Down here I get compliments from teachers and students alike, its a great place to live. Alot of it has to do with the base being so close to us but some of it is just the people. And Southern Hospitality....

I hear you man, I visited Oceanside CA, the location of Camp Pendleton. Man did I love that place, it had a great vibe. Since in live in AZ though, every time I where a Marine shirt (which is often) I get laughed at. :?

Just can't say enough how well things are going for us here and how happy we are here. It was a big change and a big worry that we'd made the right decision. Now that we're here we know we did.

Powers that be "request" (read "demand") that I not state which school I'm teaching at, but that info is available by PM to those I feel need to know. However, I can tell you that I'm in South Carolina and there's a whole lot of cadets running around here. Any of you youngsters out there happen to run into a new field grade on campus with cannons on his collar and a northern accent and you may be looking at your's truly. ;)

Well still getting my feet wet. I don't start teaching classes until next semester but lots and lots of things to do besides that. I'll check in when I can, but don't expect to see much of me until Christmas time.

glad to see things are going good for ya Charge. Please use an ounce of common sense with the ROTC program. This week I got a little fed up...kinda like how I would get fed up in the Reserves. Keep up the good fight

Doody

Doody, the first requirement for promotion beyond company grade is to have at least an ounce or two of common sense (although I've met some with scambled eggs who have made me feel that they got past that one somehow LOL!) I will be doubly concerned about my charges (yes, that's a pun) though as I'm new to the ROTC program but not by any means new to instructing. Many years of it in the Army and getting my masters in education also required a substantial period of student teaching. I'm ready alright but still learning the ins and outs of ROTC. I was an OCS grad so it's all new to me.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Send me a PM about it and let me see if I can be of any assistance.

Back