Movies and Military Ceremonies

USAFAUX2004

What is up with them screwing up all the ceremonies? they get the uniforms (usually with mistakes) and then they do not do it right

I believe there is a law that doesn't allow civilians to wear the correct uniform of military personnel. When I left for active duty, we were told we needed to removes the rank and our name tapes if we wanted to wear our BDU's. A different friend in the military said that there must be at least 2 things wrong with a military uniform if shown in a movie.

I cannot confirm that, but it does explain the screw ups in movies when it comes to uniforms. Doe anyone know of any law about that?

Doody said:
I believe there is a law that doesn't allow civilians to wear the correct uniform of military personnel. When I left for active duty, we were told we needed to removes the rank and our name tapes if we wanted to wear our BDU's. A different friend in the military said that there must be at least 2 things wrong with a military uniform if shown in a movie.

I cannot confirm that, but it does explain the screw ups in movies when it comes to uniforms. Doe anyone know of any law about that?

Well i did post the article about haloween and it said that movies are allowed to do it as long as it right. (soluting just kills me)

okies

i Don't know about American films but british films, i never really seen anything wrong with the uniform. TV Drama's done about army/ navy were never covered up anything. Only thing we arn't allowed to do is the correct voice proceedures etc like in an OP's room or battle. So instead of saying the correct voice proceedure to fire a weapon from op's room they'd replacee it.

As far as I know that is the only rule enforced, if you understood me lol

I only know this as i was used in a naval tv drama

WELL CHEVRONS ARE MISPLACED IN THE WRONG POSITION AND THE SALUTES MAKE ME WANT TO DESTROY THE TV

P.S. Sorry for the caps

I almost always find something wrong with military uniforms/gear/customs/rank, et al in movies or on television.

The departments of each sector are not working together nor recieved very little military advisement. Or quite possibly, the selected party to create these props are not knowledgable about the military's equipment if they intended to make it look authentic.

You'll have to remember that the film/TV firms have a difficult time getting the budget of trying to produce a very realistic war movie. The firm's primary question is as: Will this war movie become popular? Profitable? Is this movie has a potential of becoming a great investment?

During the past, war movies relied on heavily spent props to portray the equipment. However, future war movies would be more cheaper to create only if the director and producer believes in the effect of blue screen CGI technology. If so, you'll expect an animated/digital tank or soldier in the future as a backdrop.

As for the Audio department, several studios have done an excellent job in creating actual sounds but many of them are a complete mockup.

While military, or even general accuracy is nice in movies/shows - it's important to remember, they are just entertainment. It can sometimes be annoying, but for the most part - it's humourous. Watching Bruce Willis, 50 year old highly trained Navy SEAL Lt walk around the jungle with his optics on backwards for the majority of the mission - was very funny.

My wife and oldest daughter will not even watch Military or Police based Movies or TV Dramas with me anymore. I drive them up a tree with my comments. :lol:

While military, or even general accuracy is nice in movies/shows - it's important to remember, they are just entertainment.

Basically yes. However, it depends on the intentions. It can be used to persuade.

I'm with 03USMC. I drive friends and relatives nuts with my picking apart war movies. "Hey that captain has his railroad tracks on sideways." "Shutup!"

It used to be worse. I still remember coming home to my parents house one day and my nephew who was about 6 at the time said "Oh no! Uncle ___ is here! We gotta watch WAR movies!!"

RnderSafe said:
it's humourous. Watching Bruce Willis, 50 year old highly trained Navy SEAL Lt walk around the jungle with his optics on backwards for the majority of the mission - was very funny.

Other memorable military movie moments were from the Rambo movies where Sylvester Stalone reloaded his M-72 LAW just by pushing it in and pulling it out again..
Or when he fired an RPG from inside a helicopter..
or, or, or...... :lol:

The most accrate movie I've seen is Band of Brothers.

Some movies are just annoying. I get in trouble trying to tell my family or friends whats right and wrong.

Also, as someone said before some conpanies don't have the money to be corrrect and hire people like Cpt. Dale Dye and the is a law that says that non-military persons can't wear certain ranks, insignia, ect.....

It is the same thing as a person commenting or critisizing a movie out loud and during the movie.

Keeping the mouth shut can prevent angry agitations and hostilities.

Stargate SG-1 is not intended to be realistic. It's science fiction. You should know that.

Curious, are you among one of the many bizaare Stargate fans out there?

Back