Movies and Military Ceremonies

Cabal said:
Stargate SG-1 is not intended to be realistic. It's science fiction. You should know that.

Curious, are you among one of the many bizaare Stargate fans out there?

I like the show, in fact its on right now, but I just hate how they solute (too low fro the eye brow, too high, too far towards the nose). Plus when I started the thread I watched an episode where they were doing a ceremonial "burial" and they just did not look good. Its hard to explain you just have to see.

P.S. I am not one of the friggin' believers into the whole Stargate thing but i just like sci-fi so I kind of got stuck on the show

Yes I did watched the StarGate SG-1 show on sci-fi several times when I was in the States for a while. As a matter of fact, since more people are drawn to its strangely composed story, it has become more sophisticated as well its visual effects.

However, it's still science fiction and obviously the military advisor didn't pay much attention while the camera was still rolling.

okies

and once again.............why we debating this when its not real life? maybe tv drama's/film have to be a little off on whats real for certain reasons..........maybe the governmetn have laid this down for them. At end of day why should it bother some one?

Mod Edit: Do NOT attempt to stifle discussion on this forum. This is a discussion forum, members are free to discuss any topic they please as long as it fits within the parameters of the rules. Unless you have something to add to the discussion, refrain from comment.

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
...and the is a law that says that non-military persons can't wear certain ranks, insignia, ect.....

Wrong...the law specifically makes an exception for dramatic productions and the like-uniforms can be exactly up to spec...but most production teams are stupid in such matters.

"TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 45 - The Uniform > § 771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited

"Release date: 2004-03-18

"Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear—
(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
(2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps."

HOWEVER, the very next section contains the following:

"§ 772. When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized

"(a) - (e) [snip]
"(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force."

c/LtCdr said:
Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
...and the is a law that says that non-military persons can't wear certain ranks, insignia, ect.....

Wrong...the law specifically makes an exception for dramatic productions and the like-uniforms can be exactly up to spec...but most production teams are stupid in such matters.

"TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 45 - The Uniform > § 771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited

"Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear—
(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
(2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps."

HOWEVER, the very next section contains the following:

"§ 772. When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized

"(a) - (e) [snip]
"(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force."

Link please? Oh yes there is a law against it, there are law against wearing a cops uniform with proper insignia in photos and movies, a model got in trouble fo wearing her husbands uniform.

Back