movie recommendation

Rabs

I would suggest that everyone go see the movie sicko, I just watched it after downloading off bit torrent. It is a great movie and It doesn't have the obvious political message as Moore's other films, it's really about health care and helping people, if you can get over the narrator it really is an excellent film. The most eye opening thing to me was the health care in other nations, especially the health care systems in France and Britain are well excellent, maybe I'm buying Moore's propaganda and I havent seen anything from the other side, but it really is a film that makes you think.

Last edited:
I would suggest that everyone go see the movie sicko, I just watched it after downloading off bit torrent. It is a great movie and It doesn't have the obvious political message as Moore's other films, it's really about health care and helping people, if you can get over the narrator it really is an excellent film. The most eye opening thing to me was the health care in other nations, especially the health care systems in France and Britain are well excellent, maybe I'm buying Moore's propaganda and I havent seen anything from the other side, but it really is a film that makes you think.

I always have a problem with Moore's films because he is always pushing a cause and I really hate one sided stories, that being said I do watch them as starting points for further investigation on subjects.
As far as health care goes though I am not sure I would hold up Britain as a great example as my experience of it would indicate that it is grossly underfunded (however I am sure others have more experience with it than I do).

I would like to see your movie reccomendation Rabs (or is it Richard?).:smile:

Expat Americans who I have spoken to over the years have often stated the US healthcare system is set up for the wealthy.

On Tuesday, happy michael Moore appeared on The David Letterman Show to tell us that Cuba had the world's best healthcare system.
Why? About seven years ago, the World Healthcare Organization (A matter of WHO) said so. It didn't matter to Moore and others that the winner of that charade was determined by calculating the percentage of the GNP that country spent on healthcare. Since Cuba has virtually no GNP an outlay of a buck fifty could win that propaganda party.

Expat Americans who I have spoken to over the years have often stated the US healthcare system is set up for the wealthy.

If you can afford it we have the best health care system in the world.

If you can afford it we have the best health care system in the world.

Thats a very big "IF". 3/4 of the country need not apply. For example, Your typical hospital stay is $25,000 a week. The problem isn't the quality of care, its the cost. And espicially the gross exploitation that big Business involves itself in making lots of money of sick + injured people which raises a rather large moral flag. Essentially the HMO can play GOD and decide who lives (those that can afford it) vs. those who die (those that can't).

Here a anecdote from SICKO to show how greedy and immoral these people are:

A women is in a head-on collision. She is pulled out of the wreak of her car totally unconscious and taken to the Hospital via ambulance, with severe injuries.

Weeks later, her HMO sends her a letter saying they are denying the claim of the costs of the ambulance (cost $4500) because she didn't get pre-approval for the ambulance ride. Remember, she was unconscious at the time.

I had a doctor friend of mine who got in a telephone screaming match with a HMO bean counter (right in front of me) because the ***hole at the other end had denied a claim on a operation that would have saved my friend's patient eye. Pure greed. Thats all HMO's are interested in.

HMO redefines the term: BLOODSUCKER. I absolutely hate them.

FREE UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

Last edited:
I think your 3/4th number is a bit high, almost everyone I know can afford good health-care. Granted, I don't really live anywhere urban and our unemployment is relatively low. I do agree that universal health care is the only option, but i disagree with Moore on how. I'm much more in favor of universal health insurance for those that don't have it and cant afford it and not state run hospitals and the such, I just don't think that would work in a country the size of the US. The border problem needs to be fixed before that to, so not everyone can come here for health care. Yes its harsh but unfortunately its reality.

Also mmarsh, what did you think of the films portrayal of the French health care system, do they really send people to single mothers houses to do housework?

I think your 3/4th number is a bit high, almost everyone I know can afford good health-care. Granted, I don't really live anywhere urban and our unemployment is relatively low. I do agree that universal health care is the only option, but i disagree with Moore on how. I'm much more in favor of universal health insurance for those that don't have it and cant afford it and not state run hospitals and the such, I just don't think that would work in a country the size of the US. The border problem needs to be fixed before that to, so not everyone can come here for health care. Yes its harsh but unfortunately its reality.

Also mmarsh, what did you think of the films portrayal of the French health care system, do they really send people to single mothers houses to do housework?

Oh I wasn't referring to whom can pay for health care Insurence, I was referring to who can pay for healthcare. i.e who can afford to hand $25K in cash for a week in the hospital. I

I haven't seen Sicko yet, its not out in France yet though I expect it to be a big hit here. All of Moore's films have done well in Europe. I saw a few snippets here and there on TV and the Internet.

I think a full universal Healthcare system is possible though it would require a tax increase, which is a small price to pay. If you think about all the money we piss away in wars and corporate handouts we can buy ourselves a good healthcare system.

I'd love to see this movie, but I have a feeling it'd be the last straw in pushing me over the brink into the "Lost All Faith in Humanity" section.

Back